GPS Training course - 2 days - only £70

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Neil Wheadon

GPS Training course - 2 days - only £70

Post by Neil Wheadon »

Hi
As a CTC leader I've organised a W/E tuition on GPS devices this W/E and have 2 places available, is anyone interested. They look great out of the box, but take a lot of effort and asking others to get started on them and this course will make that a lot easier
This will be the second W/E course and the first in June was very helpful.
This one is based at Mungrisdale, close to the Lake District on the 4th and 5th October 2014.

I asked for
1) An introduction to gps and the devices available
2) An explanation of routes, waypoints and tracks
3) Building a route from a remote location. We are pretty unique in that the holidays we offer are truly original. Websites include http://www.bikely.com http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com etc.
4) Transferring this route to a format that can be used by various devices such as .gpx and an explanation of the options available
5) How to correctly send these to participants. There is an added step here in that many of our tours are subsequently copied by other companies, so a degree of security would be nice (Though appreciate that this may only be possible if we supply the units as well)
6) Transferring these to devices and converting these to formats that cyclists use. As we are dealing with participants that have their own gps units we are often dealing with various types of Garmin, Satmaps etc.
7) With a gps route on file, having the ability to edit it after the holiday. An example would be altering the route slighly as a better road is found or a different starting point is found without having to rewrite the whole day.

REPLY from GPS training
I’ve read your brief and all makes sense and would present no problems for us
As you have quite an extensive brief and are still thinking about which type of GPS you may end up using I’m pretty sure that you will need two days – the first for the practicalities of the use of GPS and the second for working with BaseCamp & Garmin Connect their free computer software to allow import/export of user data in GPX and Fit file formats and planning routes like your Yellowstone trip – learning how to manage files formats on your computers etc. and import/export to GPS.
All the points covered in your notes would be covered in the two days; although your head may hurt at the end of the second day – we can provide loan & demo GPS for you to use and Laptops with Basecamp installed – Garmin Connect may be a bit more tricky as it’s an online application but Pete is very familiar with it so will be able to show you how to sue it with some captured pages – he also uses Bikey & Bike Toaster so will be able to help there as well – you could bring your own computers but it may just be easier to use ours – I would recommend you don’t purchase any GPS until you’ve been on the course – we would be happy to do a deal for you and your members on GPS, Maps & Accessories
The cost of the course is £70 for both days

If you would like to come, please contact Neil at Neil@Tandem-club.org.uk
Former CTC Tour Leader, now with Bikexplore