Bikes to Germany

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Bikes to Germany

Post by foxyrider »

I recently had the relative pleasure of flying with my bike in and out of Frankfurt airport, i thought people might find the following of interest / use.

If you use a bike box/bag to transport your bike there is a very good 24 hour open left luggage office - prices vary depending on size but i paid 126 euros to leave my large suitcase for 18 days - sounds a lot but at least the bike was well protected for the flights - a soft bag would cost significantly less and at least you don't have to carry said bag around on your trip. :D

You can ride away from the airport on dedicated cycle tracks almost from the terminal doors - my advice is to take the route to the right towards Zeppelinheim (there is a nice little Zeppelin museum at the rathaus which is worth a look if you get a chance) which very quickly gets you away from the traffic.

Of course you can catch a train almost directly from the terminal too if you are travelling further afield.

One of the best bike/airport experiences i can remember!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!