Do you ride out of the saddle?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)

Do you ride out of the saddle when touring?

Poll ended at 9 Oct 2014, 1:06pm

Yes, whenever I feel like it.
49%
Yes, only when climbing, if the bike isn't too loaded.
No votes
Yes, only when climbing.
21%
Yes, if the bike isn't too loaded.
2%
Yes, only when I feel like being a showoff
No votes
No, never (or at least very rarely).
28%

Total votes: 53

mjr

Do you ride out of the saddle?

Post by mjr »

Let me know if anything is confusing, if I've missed an obvious option, or whatever and I'll try to fix it or clarify it. Poll is for forum interest only and will be open for 30 days. Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by mjr on 9 Sep 2014, 1:58pm, edited 2 times in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Re: Do you ride out of the saddle?

Post by Psamathe »

At least exceptionally rarely. i.e. maybe once every few hundred miles.

Maybe another option? or is that as good as never (which I assumed it was)

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

I've tried to rephrase "No, never" to cover it. Thanks.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Yes, I am another "very occasionally" but not a "never".

I also quite like standing up on the pedals without pedalling and unweighting to the point of being out of contact.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I was never fit enough, except to relieve a numb bum for a few seconds.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

On a long ride, or a long day, I sometimes stand up to rest my backside or stretch my legs. I also sometimes stand, or at least take my weight off the saddle for going over a bumpy surface. I'm more likely to do so for bumps than climbing. I learned not 'honk' up a hill with a child on the back of the bike. :shock:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

never
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

umm wheres the option "Yes, when I feel like being a showoff"?

Actually on a serious note I never used to ride out of the saddle because I didnt have the strength. After a few times of cycling 100 miles, I suddenly understand the point of a minute or 2 out of the saddle every 5miles in relieving my derriere. So i dont have to, but I do it because I know my rear end will thank me for it on the last 10 miles of the day.

If its less than 60 miles I never bother since its not worth the energy it takes to stand up :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

fluffybunnyuk wrote:umm wheres the option "Yes, when I feel like being a showoff"?

Actually on a serious note I never used to ride out of the saddle because I didnt have the strength. After a few times of cycling 100 miles, I suddenly understand the point of a minute or 2 out of the saddle every 5miles in relieving my derriere. So i dont have to, but I do it because I know my rear end will thank me for it on the last 10 miles of the day.

That reminds me: I do stand up slightly every few miles, because my backside will thank me at the end of the day, but I still count that as almost never.

I'll now add that option for you ;-)
EDIT: ARRRRRRRRRRGH it reset the poll. Sorry everyone. It didn't do that on my previous poll :-(
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Since discovering the delights of wide range triples, all I have to do is change to granny and pedal normally.
I have tried "honking" in a higher gear and depending on my fitness level depends on how surprisingly easy it is.
If I'm tired or feeling lazy, I don't have a hope of "honking" as it too hard and not worth the effort.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:EDIT: ARRRRRRRRRRGH it reset the poll. Sorry everyone. It didn't do that on my previous poll :-(

It looks okay now :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

Only if I have to...which as I ride a 22F/34R bottom gear is not often. Okay, maybe a jaunty honk over railway bridges and such if feeling lively.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I checked "whenever I feel like it"....because "touring" for me includes tracks like High Street, and High Cup Nick, and for long stretches they are too rough to sit down. I'll also get out of the saddle for steep bits, and for a change.
PH

Post by PH »

Doesn't "Yes whenever I feel like it" cover all the other yeses?

I've never really thought about it, I know I do get out of the saddle but have no idea how much or why or if that's consistent, probably not.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I'm out of the saddle for ultra-steep climbs, steep descents, periodic rear-end-relief, and very occasional hard accelerations. I've put that as "whenever I feel like it"!