Coast and Castles - Newcastle to Edinburgh

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
TrevA

Coast and Castles - Newcastle to Edinburgh

Post by TrevA »

I have some time off next week and I'm thinking of doing the C&C route from Newcastle.

The plan would be:

Day 1 - train to Newcastle, arriving mid-morning, then ride as far as Embleton (around 60 miles)
Day 2 - Embleton to Berwick but spending a couple of hours on Lindisfarne
Days 3 & 4 - still undecided whether to stick to the coast, or go inland and follow the Tweed, then up to Edinburgh.
Day 5- train back from Edinburgh.

Any thoughts? I've read mixed reviews of the Coast and castles route, so would welcome any comments from those who've done it. I'll be riding a Ridgeback Panorama, with a couple of panniers and staying in B&B's.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
geocycle

Re: Coast and Castles - Newcastle to Edinburgh

Post by geocycle »

its a great trip. I did the inland variant via Innerleithen, a fabulous way of arriving at Edinburgh with a great climb through the hills (not too steep but a spectacular contrast). Check the tides for Lindisfarne. You'll be fine on a ridgeback panorama, I did it on a Thorn tourer.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Road to Lindisfarne is low tide passable at about 10.40am on Sunday, so fits in OK and gives me time to ride the 20 or so miles from Embleton.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Nareloc

Post by Nareloc »

I did it using the coastal route last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mainly flat with great coastal scenery, especially in Northumberland. Wild camped on the coastal path near Boulmer, just a bit south of Embleton and woke up to a fabulous sunrise over the North Sea.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

If you can, spend a night on Lindisfarne.

It is a totally peaceful and secluded place once the tourists have gone.

Sitting above the ruins watching the sun set was a highlight of our trip