Organised tours accross the USA

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DaveGos

Organised tours accross the USA

Post by DaveGos »

There seems to be a number of organised tours to cycle across the USA . Has anybody any experience of any of them
lisap

Re: Organised tours accross the USA

Post by lisap »

I have been an Adventure Cycling member for the past 11 years and have ridden the Great Divide and the Southern Tier.

The tours usually have 2 leaders if van supported and 1 leader if you are carrying all your own kit. They are well trained and very professional leaders, take the hassle out of logistics on a long tour but don't nanny you. They organise cook rotas, book camping spots and manage the budget. There is a nightly map meeting where grievances, highs and lows can be discussed.

They do not map read for you but the ACA maps are excellent although people still manage to get lost :lol:

90% of the time I tour alone but on longer tours I like a bit of company, however I do sometimes find the whole group thing a bit much. If you are used to riding solo it may feel a bit like a forced route march. You will be partnered with a buddy to cook, clean up and shop. All meals are included and usually very good and no one ever goes hungry.

They are not cheap especially when you add on flight, insurance and spending money.

If you have any specific questions please ask.