Good icebreaker leggings for cycle tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
elioelio

Good icebreaker leggings for cycle tour

Post by elioelio »

Hi there,

Wasn't sure where to ask this question but assumed there would be people out there who use Icebreaker clothing.
Basically, I bought some Icebreaker everyday leggings 2 weeks ago and they already have a rip in the side seam and a hole in the knee. I'm working from home at the moment and all I've been doing is sitting at a desk all day in them. It seems stupid that my primark leggings cost 5 times less but have lasted 20 times as long.

Was I just unlucky with a shoddy pair or are the 'everyday' leggings just bad quality?

Anyway, I'll get to my point. I'm off on a 6 month cycle tour and really want some decent leggings. To wear while sleeping, when cold, but also as everyday wear to wear under a skirt on rest days/evenings. Icebreaker do lots of variations of leggings. Are the others much better quality than the 'everyday' leggings? I realise there are some thicker ones, but I don't really need thicker.
I basically don't want to spend a whole load of money again on some leggings that end up ripping straightaway.
Any thoughts?
rualexander

Re: Good icebreaker leggings for cycle tour

Post by rualexander »

Icebreaker stuff normally lasts for many years, I have a top that is 15 years old and is slightly worn at the collar end of the zip but otherwise good, I have leggings in the slightly heavier weight than the Everyday ones and they are still in good condition after about ten years.
Sounds like you got a dud pair. Take them back for a replacement.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I'm a fan of merino wool products and have found Icebreaker to be of good quality. I wear Devold Merino wool leggings when touring (extra warmth and for sleep wear)
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Possibly a bit left field, but I use these for dinghy racing, and others report good results when biking (read the reviews).
"42"
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

elioelio wrote:Hi there,

Wasn't sure where to ask this question but assumed there would be people out there who use Icebreaker clothing.
Basically, I bought some Icebreaker everyday leggings 2 weeks ago and they already have a rip in the side seam and a hole in the knee. I'm working from home at the moment and all I've been doing is sitting at a desk all day in them. It seems stupid that my primark leggings cost 5 times less but have lasted 20 times as long.

Was I just unlucky with a shoddy pair or are the 'everyday' leggings just bad quality?

Anyway, I'll get to my point. I'm off on a 6 month cycle tour and really want some decent leggings. To wear while sleeping, when cold, but also as everyday wear to wear under a skirt on rest days/evenings. Icebreaker do lots of variations of leggings. Are the others much better quality than the 'everyday' leggings? I realise there are some thicker ones, but I don't really need thicker.
I basically don't want to spend a whole load of money again on some leggings that end up ripping straightaway.
Any thoughts?

Moths perhaps? Not taking the pish here, moths are gits ! If hole is in the knee, I take it you've already ruled out excessive praying?
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I've never found Icebreaker stuff to be particularly durable (but then merino isn't going to be). For the best combination of durability and the advantages of merino I'd strongly recommend Ground Effect. Their merino stuff is merino faced with polyester. Perhaps not quite so warm (weight for weight) as plain merino knit but a lot more durable. From experience I can say that it is definitely tough enough to stand up to a 6-month cycle tour.

They do some nice tights/leggings

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product/LON/DAD

(also similar thing in three-quarter length).
hufty

Post by hufty »

I think I've mentioned [url]chocolatefishmerino.co.uk[/url] before but will do it again - have found their stuff to be more durable and less fashion-orientated than icebreaker. It looks like they're having supply issues at the moment but they do have leggings showing in stock on their website.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
serbring

Post by serbring »

elioelio wrote:Hi there,

Any thoughts?

mine got ripped the second time I used it.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

OP - might be worth checking out the Aldi thread
Sweep