Trans Penine Trail

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
IanJones

Trans Penine Trail

Post by IanJones »

Hi all,

I'm planning a one day trip along the Trans Penine Trail between Barnsley and Liverpool (sorry, probably abusing the Touring & Exped section!) as a recce for a longer trip next year.

Just one question - If anyone is familiar with the route, will I be okay on a road bike? Not sure if it is likely to be nice and paved or if it will be rocky enough to require a mountain bike or at least a hybrid.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
jamesgilbert

Re: Trans Penine Trail

Post by jamesgilbert »

The Trans Pennine Trail website (http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/cyc ... -cyclists/) says:

Most of the Trail is off-road, but not all is surfaced; you will need a bike and tyres capable of being taken off-road. A mountain bike or sturdy tourer will be more than capable of riding the Trail, thin racing wheels / tyres are not recommended.
IanJones

Post by IanJones »

Thanks James. I know that the Liverpool end is entirely paved, but curious to see if anyone has been closer to Barnsley and knows about that stretch.

I suspect you're right though and bits will be unpaved...
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

There is a diversion in place in Widnes because of the new bridge being built, it will be in place for about 3 years.

It is well sign posted but parts are on roads.

Dave
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I haven't done it, but I imagine that bit's going to be the worst as it's crossing the Peak District...
MockCyclist

Post by MockCyclist »

East of Penistone, the trail splits into a northerly and southern route. I guess you're taking the northern route. Just after you take the branch after Oxspring, there's a section that can barely be ridden on any sort of bike. It's an old stony pack horse path up the side of a hill.

Actually, just checking Google cycle trails, there may be an alternative by road up Bower Hill.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I have fond memories....

wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Cunobelin's top photo is probably 'Cheshire Lines' bit near Maghull and even though it's now tarmac it can still be a canal at times!
don1

Post by don1 »

I recently rode from home in Halifax to my parents house on the Wirral, and used the trans Pennine trail from manchester onwards.
I have a cheap and cheerful btwin triban3 and I have to admit that I was shaken to bits in some places due to the terrain of the trail.

However, I absolutely loved it. Terrific fun, although i was completely exhausted after the 90 miles, mainly due to the terrain on a cheap aluminium bike.

My upgrade from 23mm tyres to 25mm marathon pluses proved to be a good choice.