Tain or coach from Girona airport to Figueras

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
strat

Tain or coach from Girona airport to Figueras

Post by strat »

My wife and are flying in to Girona Saturday after next with bikes. We need to get to Rosas. We understand that there are trains to Figueras from Girona centre, but not at a time that suits us (we are arriving late afternoon). It does not look far from Figueras to Rosas so we can cycle that bit. I understand from one web site (The Trainline Company Europe) that there is a station called Riudellots about 4k from the airport which runs trains on Saturday evening to Figueras, but I cannot get confirmation about this from the Spanish rail companies. Has anyone done this journey and offer any advice please? I am hoping that local trains will take bikes. An alternative is by coach. I understand that you can take bikes on buses or coaches at the discretion of the driver on some routes. has anyone tried this route by bus with bike?
Sooper8

Re: Tain or coach from Girona airport to Figueras

Post by Sooper8 »

Sorry I can't help with specifics about bikes on train or bus, I have done the journey a couple of times and must just say that the Salvadore Dali museum in Figures is amazing and a 'must'.
megilleland

Post by megilleland »

There is station at Vilajuiga, one stop after Figueres. The RENFE timetable states that on Saturday 13th September there is a Regional service from Girona at 16:48, 18:48 and 20:54. The journey time is 47 mins and the fare is 4.90 euros. From there you can cycle on a direct road GI-610 to Roses (11.6 kms). SARFA run a bus service from Figueres to Roses at 15:30, 17:00, 20:30. However you have to get to Figueres so I would use the train above. There should be no problem with your bikes on the train.
strat

Post by strat »

Thanks a lot for that. It gives some reassurance. Hopefully we can get on a coach from the airport to Girona.
megilleland

Post by megilleland »

strat wrote:Thanks a lot for that. It gives some reassurance. Hopefully we can get on a coach from the airport to Girona.

There is a regular bus service into the city from the airport or you can cycle along the GIV-5343 & GI-533 avoiding the main busier routes A7 and A2/NII (all no cycling).