My second tour (I made it)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pjclinch

Re: My second tour (I made it)

Post by pjclinch »

Good stuff!

You can probably tune things more if you want by throwing money at it, but the really important point is you don't need to because you have a setup that demonstrably works :)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
kernow montpelier

Post by kernow montpelier »

Excellent. This has perked me up no end. Enjoy all those still to come.
neil ry

Post by neil ry »

well done.
how was the tour overall? I thinking of doin something similar for my 1st tour. I'm on the wirral
so wales virtually on my door step
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

neil ry wrote:well done.
how was the tour overall? I thinking of doin something similar for my 1st tour. I'm on the wirral
so wales virtually on my door step

Really enjoyed it, I wanted to go somewhere not to far from home and somewhere I was fairly familiar with.

From our house to the Power Station in Flint is around 30 miles and most of that is cycle path. Then after Flint the coast road bit starts but again check maps as loads of times (esp when it runs to dual carriageway) you can hop onto a road that runs by the side through a village. Once you get to Prestatyn you hop onto the cycle path, near the entrance to Presthaven Sands. The route from here to Rhos on Sea is fantastic, from their it is hilly.

Dave
neil ry

Post by neil ry »

from my house I can get to wales via the wirral way up towards 2 mills,
where then I can join another cycle route along the coast,avoiding all hills , 1st time and all want be nxt year now though.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

neil ry wrote:from my house I can get to wales via the wirral way up towards 2 mills,
where then I can join another cycle route along the coast,avoiding all hills , 1st time and all want be nxt year now though.

There is no cycle route on the coast road but get a road atlas (or even better OS maps) and you will 3 places where you can come off the coast road and ride on a road that travels alongside. First one is at Bagilt, you can then jump on a footpath at the end of this one and go directly onto the next one. Think the second one finished just before Greenfield, then your on the road for a bit and you can jump off again when it goes to dual carriageway again. After that it's back on again for the last stint to Presthaven Sands.

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

on another matter how did the trailer perform? think thats the way to go in future?
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

mercalia wrote:on another matter how did the trailer perform? think thats the way to go in future?

Didn't have any problems at all with the trailer, apart from found it hard parking the bike when stopping to get some food and a few times it nearly fell over when I wasn't concentrating properly when pushing.

Saw a cracking stand in decathlon the other day, might help -

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/adult-two-le ... 71359.html

A 2 wheel trailer would be a lot easier I reckon but until I spot a cheap one, I will be sticking with mine.

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oh be carefull about adding a stand to bike - I seem to remeber there was a thread about that and damaging bike frames. Last summer I met a european guy with the original Bob Yak in London and he had added a stand to the trailer than the bike - it seemed to work as I stood and chatted with him
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

mercalia wrote:Oh be carefull about adding a stand to bike - I seem to remeber there was a thread about that and damaging bike frames. Last summer I met a european guy with the original Bob Yak in London and he had added a stand to the trailer than the bike - it seemed to work as I stood and chatted with him

This could be the solution - http://www.click-stand.com/click-stand-home-page.html

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

theDaveB wrote:
mercalia wrote:Oh be carefull about adding a stand to bike - I seem to remeber there was a thread about that and damaging bike frames. Last summer I met a european guy with the original Bob Yak in London and he had added a stand to the trailer than the bike - it seemed to work as I stood and chatted with him

This could be the solution - http://www.click-stand.com/click-stand-home-page.html

Dave

thats a good idea to try out but not to buy at those prices. Just need a stick with a hook at the end? tent pole?
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

For my bike & trailer rig I use a folding walking stick with one of those T shaped handles. I keep it bungeed to the top of my tent on the pannier rack behind my seat, so I can whip it out one-handed and prop under the seat. I do need to tie the front brake on to stop the front wheel turning and rolling away, but after significant trial and error, it works great, and you can get them on Amazon for a fiver.

As for two wheeled trailers: I've just completed 3,500 miles in the UK, and the amount of single track I went down would seriously hamper two wheels. Of course, if you only ever ride on roads, you should be okay, but significant stretches of NCN routes are single track.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

sabrutat wrote:As for two wheeled trailers: I've just completed 3,500 miles in the UK, and the amount of single track I went down would seriously hamper two wheels. Of course, if you only ever ride on roads, you should be okay, but significant stretches of NCN routes are single track.

well thats a good advert for our cheapo trailers if there ever was one!
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

We're taking over, my man!