Touring Bike For Tall Person...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SaintMatt

Touring Bike For Tall Person...

Post by SaintMatt »

Hey all. Apologies if this has already been asked. Did do a quick search.

Have been thinking bout getting a touring bike for a little while, now the only problem is my height!! Being nearly 6'10" I do struggle to find bikes big enough. I currently ride all Trek bikes, 64cm road bike, 24" mtn bike, and 25" hybrid. All of them have had upgraded wheels to stop snapping spokes!!

Does anyone know of which brands I should look at for similar size tourers, if they do them. Don't really wanna go down custom build route but would consider if nothing available? I did use my hybrid for a 3 day visit to Guernsey but would like to think further afield.

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Bicycler

Re: Touring Bike For Tall Person...

Post by Bicycler »

Snapped spokes should be less of an issue on a good touring bike as they should be designed with load lugging and durability rather than lightness in mind.

The biggest modern touring bike I have seen is the 64cm Surly Long Haul Trucker (http://surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker/geometry) which happily is also a widely recommended and versatile model of touring bike. There is a disk braked version too if that appeals.
Last edited by Bicycler on 3 Sep 2014, 5:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I think you can get the Surly Long Haul Trucker in sizes up to 64cm. The Spa Cycles website (http://www.spacycles.co.uk) shows the disc version (frame only) in that size and the non-disc version in 62cm.

Oops - cross posted with Bicycler!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

According to Surly:
The 700C wheel versions of the Long Haul Trucker (rim brakes) and Disc Trucker (disc brakes) go up to 64cm
The 26" wheel versions go up to 62cm
SaintMatt

Post by SaintMatt »

Brilliant going to take a look at Surly now.. Have heard good things about them! Thanks for the info most appreciated.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

In addition to Surly, try Salsa and Soma. Possibly also All-City. In general, the American steel-oriented brands tend to cater best for the very tall.
SaintMatt

Post by SaintMatt »

stewartpratt wrote:In addition to Surly, try Salsa and Soma. Possibly also All-City. In general, the American steel-oriented brands tend to cater best for the very tall.

Thanks will take a look at them.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Consider a Rohloff hub as well. These build into a non-dished wheel which make spoke breakages much less likely.
I've on on a Thorn Raven Tour and I never have to touch the spokes. For most of my time riding this I was 15.12 (220) though now much lighter
SaintMatt

Post by SaintMatt »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Consider a Rohloff hub as well.

Funny you mention them, was just looking at them!!
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

If the Rohloff's a bit OTT for your uses, you can get a similar strength of wheel from a SA or Shimano geared hub or even a 7-speed cassette hub (if you can find one...). Having said that a good handbuilt touring wheel on a 135mm MTB hub will generally cope with whatever is asked of it.

But those Rohloffs are pretty impressive things so don't let me dissuade you :mrgreen:
SaintMatt

Post by SaintMatt »

Cheers all for your help. Hoping to get some time over the weekend to have a browse over the internet about all this good stuff!!! [emoji2]
webber

Post by webber »

how about one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEU-VSF-Fahrr ... ahrrad_Anhänger&hash=item58b4b25df9 if you dont want to buy direct from germany (i got my tx400 from these and they where very good :D )then chrisbikes do them but not sure of the prices
simon153

Post by simon153 »

I'm only 6 ft 4 but ride a VSF Fahrrad Manufaktur T400 in normal sizing with an adjustable stem. They make 'extra' size frames for taller people. Chris's Bikes in Girton, Cambridge will order one for you. Regarding snapped spokes, i weigh in at 130kgs and have never had any problem with the standard T400 26 inch wheels.
simon153

Post by simon153 »

I have just checked the VSF catalogue and they still make the T-XXL with the very large frame and extra bracing.
SaintMatt

Post by SaintMatt »

webber wrote:how about one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEU-VSF-Fahrr ... ahrrad_Anhänger&hash=item58b4b25df9 if you dont want to buy direct from germany (i got my tx400 from these and they where very good :D )then chrisbikes do them but not sure of the prices

simon153 wrote:I have just checked the VSF catalogue and they still make the T-XXL with the very large frame and extra bracing.

Cheers for the replies will look them up :)