Can I buy a bike box at Heathrow Airport

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cathycolless

Can I buy a bike box at Heathrow Airport

Post by cathycolless »

Hi,

I am flying out of Heathrow in January.
Ideally I would like to take ride the bike to the airport and box it at the airport.

Will I find any where that I can a Bike box at Heathrow ?

TIA for any info.

Cathy
lloyd

Post by lloyd »

It's worth checking with your airline, as some have them available (for a charge of course!)
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

In terminal 4 they are £15. Go to the oversize luggage check in and they will direct you downstairs to the right place.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Not flown with a bike from Heathrow for quite sometime, but when I needed one at another airport Iwas quickly directed to where I needed to go, found a friendly chap who offered a new one or could ring his mate down in baggage reclaim to see if there were any around, at considerably reduced price.... so what if it went into their back pocket for beer money, it was considerably cheaper than the new one..

So it is quite normal to be able to buy the box at the airport, well they have to have them at the airport if the airlines insist on you using them.
smalls39

Re: Can I buy a bike box at Heathrow Airport

Post by smalls39 »

You cannot count on getting a bicycle box at all airports,check first. We recently flew out of Vienna airport and luckily I rode out to airport a day b4 flight and definitely no boxes so had to get one free from bike shop, box it in Vienna city, and then paid 80 euros for a maxicab to airport. Probably could have carried them to train station but too much hassle
Vjock

Post by Vjock »

You can no longer cycle into heathrow airport. U can only get as far as the a4 as side tunnel closed for repairs. Possible business opportunity for a bright spark to offer bikebox and transport to airports.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

The airport website confirms that the tunnel is closed to cyclists. However, you can still get to terminals 1,2 and 3 via terminals 4 or 5 and using the train.
Taking your bike on public transport

Heathrow Express/Heathrow Connect

Some space is available on trains for cycles being taken on to a flight, but space is limited at peak times. Bicycles can also be taken free of charge between Heathrow terminals, even if you are not taking your cycle on a flight. Cycles are carried provided it is safe to do so at peak periods you may need to arrive on the platform earlier. For more information contact Heathrow Express on 0845 600 1515 or Heathrow Connect on 0845 678 6975.