Two Together Rail Card

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
stu1102

Two Together Rail Card

Post by stu1102 »

just got my Two Together Rail Card as my wife and I are fed up with driving everywhere with bikes in the car

http://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk/

According to the site:

'Get a new Two Together Railcard for you and the person you travel with most, and you'll both enjoy 1/3 off rail fares when you get away together.......

It's not just a card for couples either - you can get one with a best friend, or one of the family. Together you can save on practical everyday journeys, fun day trips or exciting weekend breaks - as many times as you like. Here's what you need to know:

•The Railcard costs just £30 - that’s £15 each. So after a couple of trips, the card will have paid for itself.

•Your Two Together Railcard will save you both 1/3 off a wide range of tickets. '

Just booked a couple of journeys

Nottingham-York Saturday-Based on 2 Adults -single journey
Outward Journey: 6th September 2014 at 08:48

Ticket Price without a Railcard

£36.40

Railcard Saving

- £12.40

Ticket Price with a Railcard

£24

Based on 2 Adults
Oxford-Birmingham Friday-single journey

Outward Journey: 5th September 2014 at 12:07

Ticket Price without a Railcard

£34.20

Railcard Saving

- £11.60

Ticket Price with a Railcard

£22.60
horizon

Re: Two Together Rail Card

Post by horizon »

stu1102 wrote:just got my Two Together Rail Card as my wife and I are fed up with driving everywhere with bikes in the car

Excellent. I just did a five train one way journey using my Senior rail card. All went well. It really wouldn't take much to make bike facilities on trains very good indeed (measuring a bike might help for starters!).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Congrats on your Two Together.

What about single people. As far as I can see, unless you are under 26 or over 60 you can't get a discount card for the train. Its about time single people were recognised as a persecuted minority and given equal rights!

What is so special about two?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Car travel is half the price with two people going to the same place. Knocking a third off the rail price keeps it competitive.

A single person is more able to find the last advance discount fares and find rail travel faster (no need for driving breaks) and more productive (can read/write/type/spod while not driving) but it's a shame there aren't more things like the network card for other areas.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

simonhill wrote:Congrats on your Two Together.

What about single people. As far as I can see, unless you are under 26 or over 60 you can't get a discount card for the train. Its about time single people were recognised as a persecuted minority and given equal rights!

What is so special about two?

Network cards

Limited, but better than nothing
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mjr wrote:Car travel is half the price with two people going to the same place. Knocking a third off the rail price keeps it competitive.

A single person is more able to find the last advance discount fares and find rail travel faster (no need for driving breaks) and more productive (can read/write/type/spod while not driving) but it's a shame there aren't more things like the network card for other areas.

I also like trains for touring.

With a car you either have to find a parking space for a week, (and a circular tour) or catch a train to the start point

With a train you have flexibility to start and finish where you like.