Overnight sleep possible in Barcelona airport?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
keithg

Overnight sleep possible in Barcelona airport?

Post by keithg »

I am starting a tour from Barcelona and my budget flight gets in at 10pm.
I was planning to kip on the floor for a few hours somewhere in the terminal till dawn before setting off, hopefully somewhere discreet, quiet and out of the general hubbub.
Does anyone know if this would be possible or practical in Barcelona airport?
I'd rather do this than head off into the night and fly camp or bivvy in a doorway.
simonhill

Re: Overnight sleep possible in Barcelona airport?

Post by simonhill »

What an excellent website.

I often sleep at airports, usually for early departures or else if in transit. I have never been to Barcelona airport, but I don't imagine you will have any problems. There will be loads of people waiting for early morning flights, just join them.

One thing sometimes worth checking is that there are late and early flights which mean the airport wil be open overnight (usually only necessary at smaller airports).

I normally find that (contrary to what the website says) I stay in or near the departure area. You are less likely to be hassled if they think you are waiting for a flight.

As I don't camp, I take a bit of bubblewrap to sleep on, then bin it. A cheap blanket from a charity shop is useful when departing UK in winter, shouldn't be a problem in Spain unless the a/c is very fierce.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Psamathe wrote:http://www.sleepinginairports.net might help.

Ian

Thanks for that Ian!
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

El Prat is v.busy and loaded with security guys, I would not bank on a few hours uninterrupted kip with a bicycle.

I'd sleep at an airport, say Hull, but not at BCN, it is a fantastic city, you could be in the centre super quick via the airport train before the fun has kicked off, with a great night out to look forward to. I use a clean pension that takes bikes, bang central, for only 25 euros.
keithg

Post by keithg »

Psamathe wrote:http://www.sleepinginairports.net might help.

Ian

What an astonishing website! Truly the web is an amazing resource, all human life is there.
bikefish

Post by bikefish »

I flew from El Prat last month - there is a sign on the door (when coming from the train) that doors are closed between 11 pm and 4 am - there were no flights leaving after my flight - 10.40 pm.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I'm almost in the same situation. Flight landing in Porto at 9pm. Clear customs, retrieve bike. Unbox it, rebuild it, dispose of box. Close to 11pm now. Trouble is sleeping on an airport floor, what do I do with bike whilst visiting Loo in the night. You are not supposed to leave your belongings unattended.
Then hey ho. I find a hostel less than a mile from the airport. £10 for a bed, that also includes breakfast. Job done.