Ditching my Hybrid for a full Spec Tourer

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Heltor Chasca

Re: Ditching my Hybrid for a full Spec Tourer

Post by Heltor Chasca »

johnonhisbike wrote:Just read a whole pile of responses telling you this isn't a mid-life crisis, by a whole pile of fully rohlhoffed-mid-life-crisised guys. It's not the bike ... it's where you go on it.

Heh heh. My hybrid has got an 8 speed Nexus internal hub gear system, so I completely understand the "Rohloff- Affect". If I won the lottery then yes indeed. For now I'll stick to saving up for a cracking tourer and like you say, some tours. Which indecently are more expensive for me as a self-employed gardener. When you aren't at work, nobody is paying you! That said, I can take some time off in the winter without too much hardship, unless you are touring with a tent! :lol:
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I can take some time off in the winter without too much hardship, unless you are touring with a tent! :lol:

The correct term isn't "hardship" it is "character building" :wink:
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

I have a koga miyata randonneur.the cheaper version of what mark Beaumont went round the world on.I have had it about 5*years now.done lots of touring.camping and I love it.was much better than the dawes ultra galaxy then.and the new ultra I saw yesterday has gone downhill.excuse the pun.pedals were awful.no lights.cheap looking taped handlebars.look into it.good luck.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

Ultimately the right bike is the one you feel happy on all day. If you stop looking for another bike then you've found your bike.
Im rather smug because I found mine with my first purchase (a dawes galaxy 2nd hand). While others dont rate it, for me its like my noble steed, it does 10,000 miles/year based on current estimates. At the end of a long day Im often grateful how comfortable it is, especially when im pushing that extra 20 miles to get to my campsite.

If you like green then go dawes galaxy, its a great colour!!!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

do know why u just dont tour on your Specialized Globe City 3.1. looks good enough for the job? Unlike racing bikes touring bikes are more a purpose than a design?
pneumatic

Post by pneumatic »

I gave up my Marin hybrid for a Dawes Super Galaxy 12 years ago. Together, we have had unimaginable fun. I like riding a bike with a timeless shape; it just feels right. I have other bikes, but when I hang the panniers over the rack on Friday and bungee on the tent for a weekend up North, it'll be like putting on my favourite adventure boots.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind fitting a Rohloff and disc brakes.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I think pneumatic's comment illustrates just how personal this is. Sometimes a bike just feels right and sometimes one which ticks all the boxes on paper just ends up unloved
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I bought my Dream Tourer just over a decade ago. It does make a difference to me in how much I enjoy touring, but I went a bit more radical than a "proper touring bike"...

Better head-up view, no weight on arms, no crick in the neck, no need for contrived trousers and padded mitts, and it takes luggage better too (the lowriders are midway between the wheels and under the rider, the only affect on handling is glueing you to the road better).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I bought my 2nd hand 1990 Galaxy 4 years ago for £350 & it's done a good few thousands of miles with full camping load and no problems what so ever. (thanks Jerry, you know who you are).
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Great comments. Thank you. It has given me loads of food for thought and lots of options.

Last Friday I looked at a Surly Disc Trucker, which is the bike that has tickled my fancy the most, and I wasn't disappointed. I added a few bells and whistles to my wish list and was pleased with the overall deal the supplier came up with. I got that all in writing and had placed a deposit by lunch time today. EXCITING stuff.

Then: My phone rang. A lady had her bike nicked in Bristol and needed a replacement for the school run! She viewed it this evening with her bike expert friend and was very pleased. She paid cash, loaded my bike in her car and as far as I know my bike is going to live a happy life in Bristol towing a happy 4 year old around the place. And I have a few extra spondoolies to pay towards my Surly.

How cool is that?...............hc
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Thanks Martin. I have a friend who has made blood brothers with his Thorn and rode round Oz so obviously tried to sell me down this route. I just don't have the budget. Surly is an option so far.......hc

My 585L Sherpa, 18 months old, will be on Ebay in a few weeks when i return from spain - where I'm going on my Rohloff equipped Raven......
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Good luck with the sale. I managed to get a pretty good price for my hybrid. It was really well looked after and I listed all the specs although I started with a summarised list of the key points for me that I enjoyed about it. The only tricky bit was he size of the bike as I'm below average in height so that made it a pretty niche product. It sold though which is the main thing and I have a spangly Surly disc trucker on the way. Whoo hoo..hc