Ditching my Hybrid for a full Spec Tourer

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Heltor Chasca

Ditching my Hybrid for a full Spec Tourer

Post by Heltor Chasca »

At 40 I am being accused by those nearest and dearest to me of having a mid-life crisis. I call it just knowing how to have fun. I am ditching my hybrid (Specialized Globe City 3.1) for a full spec tourer (I'm soft on a Surly Disc Trucker) The sale of my hybrid will help me a little towards this goal I hope! It's on eBay which is new territory for me. Yikes.

I'm learning loads on here so thank you all for the knowledge although I am lurking and avoiding adding my 10 cents or bombarding the wise with inane questions. A bit about me as an intro: I am a gardener in Somerset and I lean towards organic methods as I have a very strong affinity with Britain's flora and fauna. At the moment I own a decent hybrid which handles light touring without complaint but as I said I'm on the hunt for a proper tourer to match my beard and long hair. I also have 2 sheds, 2 greenhouses, a spaniel, 2 daughters, some chickens and a tortoise. All of which are about as useful as a chocolate tea pot.............hc
MartinBrice

Re: Ditching my Hybrid for a full Spec Tourer

Post by MartinBrice »

The choice pf which bike to buy is very easy.
European tarmac? Dawes Galaxy with Marathon tyres or Panaracer Pasela Tourguard tyres. Perhaps a Thorn Sherpa.
Cross Africa, Patagonia, crap roads? Perhaps a Thorn Raven. Nomad, 26 inch wheels so you can buy tyres anywhere. Surly also good. Strong frame.
Or maybe go for a lighter frame, handmade specially for you? Roberts of Croydon.
Short of money? Go to halfords.
In China? Buy a £25 bike.
Which only goes to show that you can ride almost anything to almost amywhere. If you have a decent local bike shop, ask them or ring Thorn, which is what I did.
YMMV
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I'm fortunate enough to own a few bikes, all to my specification, without being unsensibly restricted by budget. These include a Thorn Exp (expedition standard bike); a Genesis Croix de Fer, in touring spec for medium weight touring, and a Roberts Compact Sportive that I have over-abused for cycle-camping, and it has coped admirably, but is not really robust enough for the state of the roads today when loaded with 15 kgs of tent & luggage.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses for touring, but if you plan to go touring, which I assume you do, then you are right to specify a touring bike for your very needs. The Surley Long a Haul Trucker would, of course, be an excellent choice (for any tourer) -so perhaps you could narrow down or specify your question for a touring bike? What type of touring are you planning to do? How long, how often etc.?

Otherwise, if you are looking for support - then you've come to the right place - I would certainly agree with your decision. I would disagree that it is a mid-life crisis at 40, you've got another 10 or 15 years to go for a real mid-life crisis!
HowardW

Post by HowardW »

It's not a proper mid life crisis until it involves a Rohloff Speedhub....

I agree on the trucker mines a disc trucker the colour is lovely.

Here's mine! (trucker not mid life crisis honest)
http://10mileseachway.blogspot.co.uk/

(somewhere on there anyway)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

If i had the space and money I would keep both - you dont want to use the "nice" bike for runs to the shops etc
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

MartinBrice wrote:The choice pf which bike to buy is very easy.
European tarmac? Dawes Galaxy with Marathon tyres or Panaracer Pasela Tourguard tyres. Perhaps a Thorn Sherpa.
Cross Africa, Patagonia, crap roads? Perhaps a Thorn Raven. Nomad, 26 inch wheels so you can buy tyres anywhere. Surly also good. Strong frame.
Or maybe go for a lighter frame, handmade specially for you? Roberts of Croydon.
Short of money? Go to halfords.
In China? Buy a £25 bike.
Which only goes to show that you can ride almost anything to almost amywhere. If you have a decent local bike shop, ask them or ring Thorn, which is what I did.
YMMV

Thanks Martin. I have a friend who has made blood brothers with his Thorn and rode round Oz so obviously tried to sell me down this route. I just don't have the budget. Surly is an option so far.......hc
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

phil parker wrote:I'm fortunate enough to own a few bikes, all to my specification, without being unsensibly restricted by budget. These include a Thorn Exp (expedition standard bike); a Genesis Croix de Fer, in touring spec for medium weight touring, and a Roberts Compact Sportive that I have over-abused for cycle-camping, and it has coped admirably, but is not really robust enough for the state of the roads today when loaded with 15 kgs of tent & luggage.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses for touring, but if you plan to go touring, which I assume you do, then you are right to specify a touring bike for your very needs. The Surley Long a Haul Trucker would, of course, be an excellent choice (for any tourer) -so perhaps you could narrow down or specify your question for a touring bike? What type of touring are you planning to do? How long, how often etc.?

Otherwise, if you are looking for support - then you've come to the right place - I would certainly agree with your decision. I would disagree that it is a mid-life crisis at 40, you've got another 10 or 15 years to go for a real mid-life crisis!

Cheers Phil. No questions yet, but you'll regret giving me a comfy chair coz they will come! Listen out because what I have realised is that some of the bike tech has changed so much since I was really serious about biking that I am really feeling old. Thankfully with age comes a tiny bit more disposable cash that I didn't have when I was commuting to my £45.00 a day landscaoing job in my 20s.........hc
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

HowardW wrote:It's not a proper mid life crisis until it involves a Rohloff Speedhub....

I agree on the trucker mines a disc trucker the colour is lovely.

Here's mine! (trucker not mid life crisis honest)
http://10mileseachway.blogspot.co.uk/

(somewhere on there anyway)

Cracking blog Howard! I pleased to see long hair and a beard. I am with brethren. Heh heh. My 12 year old daughter has stopped coming out on rides with me :( but my 4 year old happily perches on the back for fair distances but isn't quite up to 10 miles yet. Good on your daughter. That's hard on little legs. The sailing looks good. I used to coach Level 5 RYA in a past life.

As for the colour? I'm keen on the green Disc Trucker being a gardener. Almost everything I own is green including my pick-up truck. Sad I am................hc
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

mercalia wrote:If i had the space and money I would keep both - you dont want to use the "nice" bike for runs to the shops etc

Spanners in my spokes Mercalia! I wish, but I can't have everything. I've got to say I did an 11 mile "coffee and cake" run to another village in the Sun today and I softened towards keeping my Specialized Globe City 3.1 as a "spare". I was looking at the hub gears and dynamo lighting while cleaning it this evening and marveling at the build quality and usefulness. It's on eBay and that is that. I am driven. I am tight. I don't have the space. I would birch myself for having two bikes. AND I might just need another shed!........hhc
johnonhisbike

Post by johnonhisbike »

Why? If the hybrid's comfy and it hasn't any obvious defects ... unless you're planning a massive trip through somewhere really remote, use the money you would spend to finance a really good tour.
cnb

Post by cnb »

If your looking for a new Disc Trucker you will struggle to find a green one (2013 colour) i could be wrong on that one..I managed to hunt one down after a long search..great bike though and i'm happy with it...
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Have done well in excess of 20,000 miles on my Thorn Raven with Rohloff and have been well pleased with it.
For those who are reluctant to invest in the Rohloff, the Edinburgh Bike Coop have some excellent and reasonably priced cycles.
johnonhisbike

Post by johnonhisbike »

Just read a whole pile of responses telling you this isn't a mid-life crisis, by a whole pile of fully rohlhoffed-mid-life-crisised guys. It's not the bike ... it's where you go on it.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

johnonhisbike wrote:Why? If the hybrid's comfy and it hasn't any obvious defects ... unless you're planning a massive trip through somewhere really remote, use the money you would spend to finance a really good tour.

Valid point. My hybrid is very capable of light touring and fits me well and is in remarkable nick. I am victim to that inexplicable urge to make a well-researched purchase. I also want to do some of the build on my next bike to make it "mine". Simple stuff, but stuff I've used and liked on other bikes I've owned in the past.

Am I a sucker? Oh yes, but it's rare I do anything for myself so I'm on a mission :D
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 2 Sep 2014, 8:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

cnb wrote:If your looking for a new Disc Trucker you will struggle to find a green one (2013 colour) i could be wrong on that one..I managed to hunt one down after a long search..great bike though and i'm happy with it...

Yikes! But everything I own is green. :mrgreen: ...hc