Cambridge to Canterbury

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mullinsm

Cambridge to Canterbury

Post by mullinsm »

I'm planning a tour in a week or so and the second day is going to be from Cambridge to Kent (Canterbury or Faversham). I could do with some help navigating to the east of London and especially crossing the Thames. I understand the ferry from Tilbury doesn't run on a Sunday and that's the day I'll be doing it! Any suggestions for a safe route avoiding the worst of the traffic this part of the world has to offer would be really appreciated.
iandriver

Re: Cambridge to Canterbury

Post by iandriver »

If you find yourself having to swing into London to get across the Thames, The path beside the river Lea is perfectly passable. This goes all the way to the Olympic park from as far out as Hertford if needed . I don't know if there is a train further west that would get you across.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Pick up National Cycle Route 1 at Harlow and follow it through the foot tunnel under the Thames at the Isle of Dogs all the way to Canterbury and Dover.
nomisp

Post by nomisp »

Hi. another vote for the cycle route alongside the river Lea and then maybe cross the river Thames on the Woolwhich ferry and follow the Thames path towards Canterbury... regards Nomisp
AM7

Post by AM7 »

If you already have a route planned to Tilbury, you could detour to the Dartford crossing, where there's a free shuttle service to take cyclists across the river. There's a cycle path alongside the M25 from Thurrock to the collection point on the north side. Not the most scenic route though...
gaz

Post by gaz »

Just to confirm the Tilbury-Gravesend ferry does not run on Sundays.

Dartford Crossing does have a shuttle service for bikes but it's no longer 24/7; details in this thread.

There's a cycletrack south following the A282 that picks up NCN1 and offers a good route out of Dartford, much better than the A226 which is ghastly. NCN177 offers a shortcut to Medway. It's proximity to the A2 makes it very noisy but you'll pass cafes at Cyclopark, Nells (Marling Cross) and Shorne Country Park.

Have a look at Freeflow's route on this thread for further ideas. There's another useful stretch of NCN1 from Whitstable to Canterbury, the Crab and Winkle.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade