Best Ortlieb Rear Panniers for touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Doug_Skullery

Best Ortlieb Rear Panniers for touring?

Post by Doug_Skullery »

Hi Folks,
I'm considering Ortlieb Rear panniers for touring.
The online store I'm looking at have the following:-
1. Bike Packer Classic
2. Back roller Plus
Both appear to be 40L Capacity.

Which are the most suitable - any recommendations?
Cheers
Doug
Psamathe

Re: Best Ortlieb Rear Panniers for touring?

Post by Psamathe »

I can't comment on best, but there are several other variants worth considering on your list (Ortlieb ones)
Like the e.g. Backroller Classic

They are expensive items that (should) last many years so I would not restrict your considerations to what a specific online store might be offering. If your online store does not offer what you want, go elsewhere.

Ian
whoof

Post by whoof »

I have used my roller back classics for the past 11 years.
I like the build quality, they are 100% water proof and the fitting system.
Only down side is that there no pockets to separate stuff or easier access. You can buy an add on pocket but I don't like the look of it.
They are very good panniers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

whoof wrote:Only down side is that there no pockets to separate stuff or easier access. You can buy an add on pocket but I don't like the look of it.
They are very good panniers.

I purchased my Backroller Classics late last/early this year and inside they have a full width pocket and a zippered pocket (on the outside bit of the full width pocket). But these are internal and you may be talking about external pockets (sorry if I picked up the wrong aspect).

Ian
hufty

Post by hufty »

Currently going through the same decision process for Mrs Hufty's rear end.

A previous thread on the difference between Classic and Plus materials: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=46822

Also try googling "Ortlieb Classic or Plus". Compared to the Plus, the Classic is thicker, more plastic looking, more wipe clean, and weighs more. Also it's made of PVC if you are concerned about the enviromental impact of PVC. Not getting the impression that people think the lighter material is less robust though.

Then I guess it depends whether you want a lid or a roller top. Mrs H doesn't like the lid of her front Ortliebs because when you're trying to cram stuff in and tighten it all down hard the straps pull at their anchor points and I guess there is more risk of pulling a hole in the material than with a roll top.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I have/use both Classic and Plus. The Plus are quite tough, the Classic are very tough. If you're using daily then I think the extra is worth it. If it's not quite so much thrashing the Plus are lighter and have a nicer (IMO) feel.

Next choice is roll-top or flip top. I use rear rollers but for lowriders/front/small I use the 'Packers. They both work, one thing about the roll-tops is they overload relatively gracefully which can be handy on tour, or if the shopping trip found something bulky on special offer. Obviously the waterproofing is somewhat compromised if you leave the top gaping open, but it does substantially increase what you can carry. OTOH the flip-tops are naturally more-or-less closed by default.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
whoof

Post by whoof »

[quote="PsamatheI purchased my Backroller Classics late last/early this year and inside they have a full width pocket and a zippered pocket (on the outside bit of the full width pocket). But these are internal and you may be talking about external pockets (sorry if I picked up the wrong aspect).

Ian[/quote]

Thanks, I didn't know this.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I am not a fan of the roll top. My preferred choice and the one I have used for the last 12 years is the Bikepacker Plus. You can see them in use on most of the pictures on my website.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

I've got both rollers and packer types. I suspect it's a bit of a 'marmite' question which you prefer. I can get on with either, but I think I prefer the packers for some reason I can't place. However with rollers you don't need to adjust any straps depending how full they are tho, so they are easier if your load is tidal - i.e. with food and beer.

The plus material is lighter than the classic, but maybe not as durable - after 6-7 years, I have a small split in mind where they've been contantly stretched in the same place. It was easy enuff to repare with a innertube patch tho. I'm happy with them otherwise, the classic material seems a bit OTT on the durability.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I'm using bikepacker plus. I have had these on the bike since 2006 and have used them most days for commuting or touring. Can't say whether they are any better as I've not used the classic or roll top versions but they work well and are waterproof. If you are prone to totally immersing the panniers in streams then maybe you need a roller, otherwise hard to choose IMO.
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

I am a Bike-Packer Plus user, actually have four of them, having started out on Rollers. I wouldn't go back now.

The full set in use ....

Andrew
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Bike-packer classics for me (actually I think my front panniers are sport packer classics, but pretty much the same thing just smaller). I often tuck a top/waterproof under the lid of my rear panniers, easy to get to in a hurry and no need to open up the main body of the pack.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Dudley Manlove wrote:The plus material is lighter than the classic, but maybe not as durable.

Ortlieb reckon that the Plus material is tougher than the Classic - similar tear resistance (in between the two different Classic fabrics), and does quite a lot better on the abrasion resistance test.
This article on crazyguyonabike gives a good rundown on the differences by a fabric technologist, and Plus comes out best there too.

Either are plenty durable enough, and it's easy to permanantly repair minor damage with Ortleib's kits, generic products like TearAid or Tenacious Tape, or glueless puncture patches such as Park.

User of Front Rollers with riveted rails and fittings and non-insert hooks, currently failing to get around to getting some Plus replacements.
Doug_Skullery

Post by Doug_Skullery »

Folks, thanks very much for your insights and suggestions and pointing out the pros and cons for each type.

Not quite decided but I think I'll probably go for the Bike Packer Classic.
Interestingly, Evans have a sale on so the price difference between the options is not always high.

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/a ... f/ortlieb#!

Thanks again, everyone.
Doug
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

You might also consider the Back Roller City. I know it has “City” in the name, but nothing’s preventing you taking it out of the city. And in fact, it seems to have some advantages, depending on your viewpoint: cheaper, lighter, no unnecessary pockets or straps, but with the usual Ortlieb quality and waterproofness.