Reivers Way

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
CyranodeBodgerac

Reivers Way

Post by CyranodeBodgerac »

I'm planning to cycle the Reivers Way from Carlisle to Tynemouth next month as a solo ride - not sad just interested in the challenge. Can anyone recommend good stopping points. Will be riding a hybrid and am bike fit but not into heroic distances.
Thanks in advance. :D
Galloper

Re: Reivers Way

Post by Galloper »

I did this a few years ago in the other direction. I stayed in a very nice B&B in Hesketh Newmarket, about 4 doors down from the pub. I also stayed in a hotel in Newcastleton, The Grapes, which was a bit moderate. There is a Youth Hostel in Kielder which I've used quite a few times and like a lot. I also stayed in a very nice B&B in Stamfordham, next door to the pub. I can't find any sign of it now so maybe they've closed. The Bay Horse does B&B, not stayed there but the food was very good.

One thing to be wary of, the Rievers Route takes you on a forest track through Kielder Forest. I was advised to avoid this as it is reportedly quite rough. I followed the road on through Kielder to Newcastleton instead and found it very pleasant.
geocycle

Re: Reivers Way

Post by geocycle »

I did the same as Galloper. Same excellent B and B in hesketh Newmarket and then used a B and B in Kielder village. I did the sections through the forest on my tourer (thorn raven tour, so at the robust end of the scale). Thee was one short 50m section which I walked as it was quite technical. The forest roads are generally ok although can be prone to rutting if the logging vehicles are active. I really like the challenge of this route and the off road sections. I also did it solo.