Santander hotel

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MartinBrice

Santander hotel

Post by MartinBrice »

We are on the ferry from Portsmouth in early October, and plan to stay the first night in Santander. Any recommendations for hotel?
I see the HOSPEDAJE MAGALLANES, MAGALLANES, 22, 39007, is recommended, also the Picos de Europa. Any other thoughts?
Need a twin room, somewhere to put the bikes.....
BeeKeeper

Re: Santander hotel

Post by BeeKeeper »

We stayed at this place on our last night of our trip this year. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi ... abria.html nothing special but convenient for the ferry. There is a good restaurant across the street. See our journal here: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 70361&v=12
The Picos is more touristy I think. We found it full and the bloke behind the counter tried very hard to get us to go to a place owned by the same company miles away at twice the price. We found getting a hotel which could take bikes in Santander a bit tricky.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

BeeKeeper wrote
We found getting a hotel which could take bikes in Santander a bit tricky.

A few years ago I booked a room at the Hotel Cabo Mayor in Santander but when I arrived they flatly refused to allow me to keep my Roberts anywhere in the building and insisted I should leave it in the bike rack in the bus station opposite. This I refused to do so I left and found another hotel nearby (forgotten the name of it) where they were happy to put my bike in a storeroom. I was still charged for a night at the Cabo Mayor as I had not given them 24 hours notice of cancellation. Best to check that the hotel you choose will take bikes.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
megilleland

Post by megilleland »

When you arrive in Santander cross the road from the ferry to the Municpal Tourist Office (Oficina de Turismo) in the park at the far end - Jardines de Pereda. In October open from Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 19:00, Saturday from 10:00 to 19:00 and Sundays from 10:00 to 14:00. Ask for an accommodation list and city plan, get the staff to show you where two or three places not too far away and cycle round and inquire at reception - take you 30-45 mins. I do this in most cities in Spain. The street map helps you get out the next day.

Or you can use this site Infohostal.es for comparing establishments, price and location. I find it very reliable and a good source for accommodation across Spain.

The regional tourist office is located two streets further back in the market at 4 Hernán Cortés, (Mercado del Este).
benvrackie

Post by benvrackie »

At the end of my Northern Spain Tour last May/June I stayed at the Hostal San Glorio. Fairly close to the Ferry Terminal and the Rail Station. A good clean hotel. Breakfast was served at their sister hotel across the street. Let me stow my bike and pannier bags in their spare room in the lobby.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

thanks, i have emailed the san glorio.
Last edited by MartinBrice on 21 Oct 2014, 2:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Just for the record, we stayed at
Hostal San Glorio
Calle Ruiz Zorilla , 18,
Santander
http://Www.sanglorio.com
Hostal@sanglorio.com
€46 for twin room, Inc breakfast at the cafe next door.
We put the bikes in a private room next to the manager's office, which involved carrying them up a flight of stairs to the first floor. We didn't bother to lock them as it would be virtually impossible to steal them from there.
On our first visit our was raining hard in the evening so we turned right out of the hotel, turned right on to the main road and at the next junction found somewhere that did a reasonable meal for two for €26, inc beer and wine.
We have finished the trip and returned to santander to take the ferry tomorrow, so we are back in the same place.