Panniers etc on Ferries & how to have safe panniers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
davetb

Panniers etc on Ferries & how to have safe panniers

Post by davetb »

Hi thanks Everyone for all the help so far. Had a quick scan through the forum and cannot see anything on what to do with panniers when on overnight Ferry trips. When in a car we just take up a very small overnight bag, but are the panniers safe to be left even if they are locked to the bike. Chris and I would prefer not carry them all up, especially as we try and avoid the crush at the lifts and walk up.
We are traveling Brittany Ferries to St.Malo. Would be nice if there was a little cage for the panniers on the car deck, but I have never seen one (but then I have never really looked! ) We do have shoulder straps for the panniers, but! Thanks
MartinBrice

Re: Panniers etc on Ferries & how to have safe panniers

Post by MartinBrice »

We, and everyone else, just left the panniers on the bikes, which went in a little cubbyhole so they were out of the way of the cars. You will be first on the boat, before the cars, and Go on with the motorbikes.
This means you can get in the lifts and get on the decks upstairs well before anyone else.
I took a thermarest and sleeping bag and when everyone quietened down, about midnight, laid it in a quiet area and had a reasonable night of sleep. I did think about going up on deck to sleep but it was windy and noisy. The reserved seats are OK but you get a better sleep laid on a flat floor. Remember the car deck is all locked up during the voyage, so the panniers should be safe. You will be last off the boat in the morning, so you are not squashed by the cars. I have always left the panniers on the bike on all ferries.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=75265

I've used the St Malo crossing many times, and others of course. I always leave the bags attached and just take away a barbag with valuables etc.
davetb

Post by davetb »

Thanks for that; that takes the pressure off, if everyone does it so will we. My wife is really pleased :o)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Yep, we travel with Brittany ferries on overnight sailings. There is a lift (priority to disabled passengers etc) but we take a tiny collapsible rucksack for afternoons and evenings when out and about from the bikes and put valuables and a wash bag in that for the overnight section, leave the rest on the bike. Most other people do that too. It depends which ferry you re on as to where the bikes go. On the Armorique there is no bike cubby hole, you are just parked at the side of the boat next to cars/lorries and that's my most common experience.

Quick edit: on the ferry to France one of the crew loading the ferry said that there were too many bikes on board. Given that the highly technical method of bike carriage is to tie them with rope onto the side of the car decks we did mutter something about getting more ropes!
Last edited by MrsHJ on 23 Aug 2014, 8:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaintMatt

Post by SaintMatt »

Travelled with the bike on a ferry for the first time on Friday (granted was only crossing to Guernsey from Poole) but left panniers on the bike and took small bag up to lounge.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Slightly OT

PacSafe do covers for rucksacks:

These can be used to contain the rear (or front end) of a bicycle complete with panniers.

It prevents opportunistic theft
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

More "everyone just left them on the bikes, and so did we" data, that on Newcastle/IJmuiden and Zeebrugge/Rosyth, with one designated as an overnight/valuables and taken on.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Slightly off topic, but here's a photo of my bike and trailer on the ferry to Mallaig.
Nowhere specific to put a bike at all. :shock:
Bike on Ferry.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
SaintMatt

Post by SaintMatt »

Mick F wrote:Slightly off topic, but here's a photo of my bike and trailer on the ferry to Mallaig.
Nowhere specific to put a bike at all. :shock:

One way of being able to keep an eye on it!!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I think the pacsafe system is a bit over the top. They cost upwards of £50 each and from memory weigh something like 2kg.

I too have left panniers on. If worried about panniers being removed, then zip ties could be a quick, cheap temporary solution. Also avoid putting any desirable objects in easy to open side pockets.

Personally, I wouldn't worry.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Bulky items stay with bike, valuables come with me... no trouble with this simple system in all the years I've been doing it. :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Typical ferry shot earlier this year, Roscoff to Plymouth. There were a similar number on the other side of the deck, I'd have no security worries.
Attachments
image.jpg
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Leave them on, they will offer some protection for the bike, in my experience the crew aren't too bothered how they handle the bikes
'Kernow bys Vyken'
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Another point, it is worth putting the chain on the biggest ring at the back, ie the one inside, so the deraillieur is in as much as possible so it might not be bashed if the bike falls or has something put against it. That is the most likely occurence in terms of a mishap on a ferry.