Weight of total gear for a 4 week tour in France

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nmnm

Re: Weight of total gear for a 4 week tour in France

Post by nmnm »

For my France summer camping month, I had just under 10kg incl panniers and clothes and shoes, quite heavy considering I had no cooking gear, spare cables or spare spokes, and only one spare inner tube (never punctured a conti GP 4 season!).

That old thermarest mentioned may be half a kilo heavier than a £38 300g multimat. These tube air mats are comfier, I think, though not as strong, and it irks to replace things that work fine too of course, so I just mention it in case you were about to spend more to save a smaller weight!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

nmnm wrote:For my France summer camping month, I had just under 10kg incl panniers and clothes and shoes, quite heavy considering I had no cooking gear, spare cables or spare spokes, and only one spare inner tube (never punctured a conti GP 4 season!).

That old thermarest mentioned may be half a kilo heavier than a £38 300g multimat. These tube air mats are comfier, I think, though not as strong, and it irks to replace things that work fine too of course, so I just mention it in case you were about to spend more to save a smaller weight!

Talking of heavy air mats, I've just spotted Exped's newest product, an awesome 12cm deep, which weighs in at a smidge over a kilo - might be tempted -looks awfully comfy!! Available in an even heavier insulated vs as well if you venture out in winter...
http://www.exped.com/en/product-categor ... mat-12-lxw
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
davetb

Post by davetb »

Just really for information for any body interested I have now "finalised" my packing:o)
Weights are
Clothing pannier - includes emergency food of Muesli, honey etc + all the clothes I will be wearing on the day 8kg
Camping pannier - gear for 2 e.g. 2 sleeping bags 2 mats etc 7Kg
Bar bag for valuables and immediate stuff 1.5Kg
tools & spares in front triangle bag 1.25Kg
water full 1Kg
Total 18.75Kg

Seems to have gone up even though I have thrown out stuff and swopped for lighter gear, but very happy with that as it is a compromise between comfort and weight.
Dave
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

davetb wrote:emergency food of Muesli, honey etc
My emergency rations are covered by a packet of dried soup. It weighs a couple of grams and takes almost no space. Being in France I would probably have some bread or other left over boulangerie goodies to add a bit of bulk to the meal. I've only had to resort to this twice over the years. Food for breakfast does not really matter, I will pick up something along the way.
PH

Post by PH »

davetb wrote:Jet boil stove, 1 spoon each, sharp knife with tools, 1 cup & use cup on bottom of jet boil
Dave

What, that little plasitc bit?
I love my Jetboil, but that would be a step too far for me, go on, treat yourself to a proper cup :wink:
The rest of the kit list looks good, as you say a sensible compromise between weight and comfort. Have a good trip.