Tour to the Continent during Aug Bank Hols wknd- thoughts?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MitzEclipse

Tour to the Continent during Aug Bank Hols wknd- thoughts?

Post by MitzEclipse »

Hi All,

Thinking about doing a mini tour during bank holiday weekend. Going to go with a simple Carradice saddle bag and stay in Airbnbs along the way. Thinking of:

Friday after 5p – cycle/train to Dover to Dunkerque overnight ferry
Saturday – Dunkerque to Bruges – overnight in Bruges
Sunday – Bruges to Rotterdam – overnight ferry from Hook of Holland to Harwich
Monday – Morning ride back down to London? Or Train?

If it’s possible to take these overnight ferries I’ll only have to book 1 night accommodation in Bruges. Wondering if anyone’s done these cities before, route suggestions, etc… hopefully it won’t be too cold… assume it may be windy as near the coast?!
Galloper

Re: Tour to the Continent during Aug Bank Hols wknd- thought

Post by Galloper »

Your route pretty much follows the North Sea Coast route which is generally quite well signposted although it can be a bit hit or miss in places. The distance/time scale looks OK but day 2, Bruges to Hook is fairly long and includes, if I remember correctly, a couple of ferry crossings which will soak up a bit of time.
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

just punched in your first leg of your route here: http://cycle.travel/map

This will give you a pdf with turn by turn instructions and GPX file if you need it

MitzEclipse

Post by MitzEclipse »

Thanks both for the help. Looking at the maps and ferry times in more detail, you're right the hook of holland destination is a bit far - too many miles and I won't be able to enjoy the trip.

I've therefore decided to change the route to: London->Calais->Roubaix->Bruges->Calais->London

What do you think? also, what is the best site online that will give me a map of bike paths and the best route to take? ridewithgps.com? mapmyride.com?