My first tour (I didn't make it)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thirdcrank

Re: My first tour (I didn't make it)

Post by thirdcrank »

theDaveB wrote: ... I haven't spent a lot on a bike as didn't want to unless I really loved touring and was going to make use of a more expensive bike. ...

Good thinking. I've often posted on here that it's pointless drooling over catalogues then shelling out for a bike till you know you like cycling, by which time you'll also have a better idea of what sort of bike suits you, rather than what suits Team Sky etc.

So for my £200 bike I thought a trailer would be better for it than panniers.

You have the trailer now and it's a good one, but a quick check of current prices suggests it cost 50% more than the bike.

Anyway, in an age when an awful lot of people couldn't ride a bike to the end of the street, you've made a valiant start. While you may not have achieved your own targets, there's nothing wrong with aiming high and I don't think anybody would agree with the implication of failure in your thread title so don't be put off.
davetb

Post by davetb »

Just read one page of posts, Chris and I think you are all very kind and helpful, how nice compared to some forums. Well done 'theDaveB' for getting your first trip done don't let it put you off, it gets easier, I think:o)
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

bigjim wrote:I toured with a guy with a trailer for a couple of days. The thing was a pest. It got in the way all the time. Hotel rooms, train, cycle paths. It's the first two days of my blog with pics under "Paris South". Put me off for life.

I get the feeling you don't like trailers.
The only experience with them is the kiddie trailer I towed around with both my girls for best part of 6+ years.
Cycle paths were never a problem, they fold up flat if need be. That goes for hotels too I'd imagine. Not sure why you'd be on a train for a bike tour unless you've gone a silly distance from home and can't pedal back, such as lejog or jogle, but even then as before, they fold up.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Vantage wrote:
bigjim wrote:I toured with a guy with a trailer for a couple of days. The thing was a pest. It got in the way all the time. Hotel rooms, train, cycle paths. It's the first two days of my blog with pics under "Paris South". Put me off for life.

I get the feeling you don't like trailers.
The only experience with them is the kiddie trailer I towed around with both my girls for best part of 6+ years.
Cycle paths were never a problem, they fold up flat if need be. That goes for hotels too I'd imagine. Not sure why you'd be on a train for a bike tour unless you've gone a silly distance from home and can't pedal back, such as lejog or jogle, but even then as before, they fold up.

Pedalling back from Munich or Nice is a bit of a pull to do it in a day or so. :)
The trailer we had with us didn't fold up. I often get the train on a bike tour. I even build it in to the tour sometimes. If I have to be at an airport for a certain time or date with a lot of mileage left, I jump a train. If the weather is bad, I jump a train. I get the train back from Manchester Airport to Manchester centre [I don't have to pay].I like trains. I'm not one of these "must bike it all the way no matter what" types. I'm on holiday.
Trailers? Everybody to their own. Just not my thing.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Well this is what I have in the trailer -

Cooker in plastic case
Pan set
Plate, bowl, cup
Knife, Fork, Spoon
Bottle of gas
Tent
Sleeping bag
folding chair
blow up mattress
pump for mattress
torch
tarp (for covering bike if left outside in the rain)
multi-tool
Spatular
Spare skewers
Spare bars for trailer
Spare brake blocks
Inner tubes
d-lock + cable
Flag

16 bottles of lucozade (figured 4 per day) - I can't drink water while cycling it makes me feel sick
cooking oil
eggs
big bottle of water
bags of nuts
spare undies
trainers
socks

There may have been other stuff but quick look through and that was what I spotted.

My trailer cost £30 or £40 by the way, bought from this very site :-)

Dave
PH

Post by PH »

theDaveB wrote:Well this is what I have in the trailer -

Cooker in plastic case - dump the case
Pan set - 1 pan is usually enough for few days
Plate, bowl, cup - any 2 out of the three would do
Knife, Fork, Spoon - Only the three if they're light
Bottle of gas - Right size bottle for the trip
Tent - you have what you have though it's bigger than I'd use
Sleeping bag - like the tent
folding chair - I wouldn't, but some do
blow up mattress - OK
pump for mattress - Is it light?
torch - again, is it lightweight?
tarp (for covering bike if left outside in the rain) - I can't see the point
multi-tool - OK
Spatular - That's what your spoon is for
Spare skewers - ??
Spare bars for trailer - ??
Spare brake blocks - If you must, they don't weigh a lot
Inner tubes - ok
d-lock + cable - if it makes you happy to leave the bike
Flag - hahahahahah

16 bottles of lucozade (figured 4 per day) - I can't drink water while cycling it makes me feel sick - noooooooooo there must be somthing tht agrees with you that you can buy as you go.
cooking oil - all cooking stuff, buy when you need it
eggs
big bottle of water
bags of nuts

There may have been other stuff but quick look through and that was what I spotted.

Dave

Comments above, you don't say about clothes, that's where big savings can sometimes be made.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

theDaveB wrote:Well this is what I have in the trailer -

Cooker in plastic case
Pan set
Plate, bowl, cup
Knife, Fork, Spoon
Bottle of gas
Tent
Sleeping bag
folding chair
blow up mattress
pump for mattress
torch
tarp (for covering bike if left outside in the rain)
multi-tool
Spatular
Spare skewers
Spare bars for trailer
Spare brake blocks
Inner tubes
d-lock + cable
Flag

16 bottles of lucozade (figured 4 per day) - I can't drink water while cycling it makes me feel sick
cooking oil
eggs
big bottle of water
bags of nuts
spare undies
trainers
socks

Dave

what u list dont seem that bad but prob the bits not the lightest of their kind. You might be able to get a cheap light weight cycle cover from 99p store instead of the tarp. dont need brake blocks if u checked them before u left?
The lucozade and water maybe could be cut back - a bit more than u need for just one day or maybe 2, then buy some more at next town?

Where u went wrong was in the weight-distance-terrain matter. My gear like yours is not special light weight stuff, so I dont try to climb mountains( now). when I did my first tour with cheapo trailer I managed just 25 miles on roads or tarmaced tracks to my destination in about 4-5 hours with lots of stops( lol). And like you my legs ached afterwards for days.I didnt do much for those days lol. There are too many stories here of super-riders doing 60-70 miles a day with a full tour load here I think.

Ph - the extra skewers and bars are incase the ones that come with the trailer break - and they do -see
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=88258
my skewer broke the 2nd time I used the trailer - the originals are a potential deathtrap
These cheapo trailers are cheap for a reason and need some user mods
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

When you say 'cooker in plastic case' it's not one of those ones in a sort of plastic suitcase is it? If so I recommend a much smaller one for next year - I've had a cheap one from Wilko which is virtually identical to a much more expensive one for a couple of years and it's been fine. The gas is cheaper than camping gaz, coleman gas, too. I bought a little windshield from the same fine emporium and this has been so good I bought another in case I lose it! They won't have any of this kit in store now, but maybe keep an eye out next year. My two pans are teeny too.
I took a tarp for the bike once, but found the dew went under it & the bike got wetter. Give the bike a good clean, dry and oil when you get home and it'll be OK.
I think my kit weighs about 25lbs and I have to be stern with myself to keep it this low. Luxuries include small radio and a book to read. I've even weighed my t-shirts to see which are lightest! If it gets much above this (I took all my breakfasts when do a 2-week tour of Holland last year) I struggle to lift it on and off trains.
Weight is an obsession with touring cyclists... you may have noticed!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

Steep learning curve but you will sort it in the way that's right for you. Lots of really good advice from very experienced sources. The only thing I have to pick up on regards the shoes you cycle in; you said;

Sandals - Very good but a bit slippy on the pedals if the bottoms got wet but dried quickly (Teva).

Maybe consider SPD / toe clips / half clips?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I would try the immersion route, starting close to home whilst safe isn't forcing you to get on with it. I just got back with my kids from their first tour and I made sure that we started at the far end of the route with a goal to head back to, there were a few wobbles and making it difficult to bail was helpful.

Plus choosing a gentler route does sound appealing. I have toured with camping gear up the Tourmalet etc so it is all doable but many gradients in mountainous countries are far gentler than in the UK. Not sure which air bed y now have? I bought a thermarest neoair and was very happy with it, best nights sleep camping ever.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

The Tarp is not really a tarp, didn't know how to explain it, it's a big green cover with eye holes from either Wilki or Poundshop. I got it for putting under my tent if the ground didn't look perfect. Forgot all about it and ended up just tiring it over my bike. Probably wouldn't bother taking it this time.

The air bed make is Summit only one I could get at short notice as I needed it there and then.

The Pump is same make and has no weight at all.

I fancy Spd pedals but the shoes put me off. Will look at some kind of clip if I can keep my shoes/sandals.

I didn't mention clothes as I didn't really take any apart from spare shirt. I had shorts on under my track suit bottoms and that is easy enough for a few days. I don't wear any cycling clothes at all, can't stand it. Much prefer to ride in what am wearing everyday.

The lock and cable is used more if I go off on my bike into town etc...

Edit: Thanks for every body taking the time to read and reply, really helpful advice.

Dave
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

theDaveB wrote:.....
Lucozade is just empty calories and bad for you, esp if you are over weight at all. I wouldn't touch it at all, least of all carry 16 bottles of the stuff!
I'd deal with your water problem - just get into the habit of drinking water you will get used to it in no time! Just normal quantities i.e when you feel thirsty (and tea, coffee, beer etc.)- there's been a load of nonsense about "hydration" mainly coming from companies selling drink products.

PS "the ingredients of Lucozade Original Energy were as of 2013: Carbonated Water, Glucose Syrup, Citric Acid, Lactic Acid, Flavouring, Preservatives, Caffeine, Antioxidant, Colour" i.e. nothing you can't do without (except the water) and nothing good for you.
-
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

It's Lucozade Sport if it makes a difference -

Water, Glucose Syrup, Citric Acid, Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate), Stabiliser (Acacia Gum), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid, Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K), Flavouring, Vitamins (Niacin, Panthothenic Acid, B6, B12), Colour (Beta-Carotene). Contains a source of Phenylalanine

http://www.lucozadesport.com/products/sport/

Dave
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

theDaveB wrote:It's Lucozade Sport if it makes a difference -

Water, Glucose Syrup, Citric Acid, Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate), Stabiliser (Acacia Gum), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid, Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K), Flavouring, Vitamins (Niacin, Panthothenic Acid, B6, B12), Colour (Beta-Carotene). Contains a source of Phenylalanine

http://www.lucozadesport.com/products/sport/

Dave

Sounds fairly toxic to me. A pint of bitter probably healthier. That's what I'd have if it came down to a choice.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

something that hasnt been said but prob should be. You said in another thread on "any one use trailers" that you are 17 stone. Well I am also that and 6'3" That means I am about 2 stone over weight. Having to haul that extra weight for any time is no fun and limits the distance I can comfortably do. Hauling it up and down lots of hills is a no-no I think.