My first tour (I didn't make it)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bigjim

Re: My first tour (I didn't make it)

Post by bigjim »

Pretty obvious. Weight! All that weight climbing hills in Wales. Your'e a hero. Weight like that is soul destroying. Why do you want to keep the bike in the tent? Trailers are just adding weight for no benefit IMO. You did make it by the way. Rode out, camped out. learned lots {I hope]. Job done.
I can tour for weeks at a time with just this setup. Plus I'm an old git that likes to sleep well.
I still moan on hills though.
Last edited by bigjim on 19 Aug 2014, 3:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mythical

Post by Mythical »

NCN 5 was my first tour too. (I have a pic in the same spot that you posted one, somewhere in my flickr account) I remember the hills in the middle being pretty wicked but so worth it once you got to the tops! I'm not sure how much stuff I was carrying, but I suspect it was around the same amount of *stuff* without adding the weight of the trailer in too, so chapeau on that! I did lots of walking up the hills too (and lots of swearing and at one point, I got really cheesed of with my compass and threw it into a hedge), but that's not a fail by any stretch of the imagination. I (we) still got up the hill under my (our) own steam so that's a win.

Three years on, all the pain is forgotten and I'm dying to do it all over again (and then some).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/misfit-cyclist - The photos are rubbish but the memories are good. :)
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

The reason for the trailer is am 17.5 stone, so thought a trailer would be less weight on the bike. If I lost a stone, then that stone could be gear on the bike and I could lose the trailer. But until that happens I will keep the trailer.

The reason I wanted to keep the bike in the tent was more security than anything else. Not really done any camping with my bike and so wasn't sure if there would be any where to lock it up. I don't live in the best of areas, so just presume every where isn't safe. No idea how I would cope with having to stop mid route and going into a shop to buy something, I would want to take my bike and trailer in with me!

Dave
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

bigjim wrote:Pretty obvious. Weight! All that weight climbing hills in Wales. Your'e a hero. Weight like that is soul destroying. Why do you want to keep the bike in the tent? Trailers are just adding weight for no benefit IMO. You did make it by the way. Rode out, camped out. learned lots {I hope]. Job done.
I can tour for weeks at a time with just this setup. Plus I'm an old git that likes to sleep well.

Yep. Have another go.
Nice old bike - wot no mudguards? I carry similar amount plus two small front bags, one for tent the other for odds and ends (shopping; bots wine, patisseries, tins of cassoulet etc.)
That picture on your blog looks familiar - Nevers on the Loire? Was there only three weeks ago. Mind you one Loire bridge looks much like another!
meic

Post by meic »

When riding you need a way of assessing the effect of hills.

In my early days I used Naismith rule, so you have what you would do on the flat and add an hour for every so many metres of climbing. So when i was fit on my lightweight that may be 600m. Towing my daughter in the trailer that could be 200m if we were camping that could come down to 100m.
You only know these figures from having ridden hilly rides and seeing the effect.

Assuming you want to carry the kit you have and that you were OK on the flat sections, you seriously underestimated the effect of hilly terrain. In future planning put a severe weighting on the effect of any climbing. Going back to Richard's profile for your trip, see how many metres you climbed and think how much extra time you need to ride that (without killing yourself) and reduce planned mileage to suit.

As I live in a hilly area, doing 90 miles on my lightweight with lightweight camping gear was as easy as 40 miles with my daughter and trailer and normal camping gear.
Yma o Hyd
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

theDaveB wrote:The reason for the trailer is am 17.5 stone, so thought a trailer would be less weight on the bike. If I lost a stone, then that stone could be gear on the bike and I could lose the trailer. But until that happens I will keep the trailer.

The reason I wanted to keep the bike in the tent was more security than anything else. Not really done any camping with my bike and so wasn't sure if there would be any where to lock it up. I don't live in the best of areas, so just presume every where isn't safe. No idea how I would cope with having to stop mid route and going into a shop to buy something, I would want to take my bike and trailer in with me!

Dave
A good tourer like a Dawes Galaxy would be OK for 17 stone I think. I lost half a stone on our last trip. It helps to eat just normal quantities of food and not to kid yourself that you need to stoke up for energy, which we used to do on first outings. Porage for breakfast though, everyday, plus fruit.
Never had a prob with bike theft but we always lock two bikes together if there's nothing else to attach to. Had to cut a thick bike lock cable the other day - took about 15 minutes with a pair of small pliers and a lot of bending. Never bother with a heavy metal U lock - just too heavy and anyway they could steal everything else except the frame if they really wanted to.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

wearwell wrote:
bigjim wrote:Pretty obvious. Weight! All that weight climbing hills in Wales. Your'e a hero. Weight like that is soul destroying. Why do you want to keep the bike in the tent? Trailers are just adding weight for no benefit IMO. You did make it by the way. Rode out, camped out. learned lots {I hope]. Job done.

Yep. Have another go.
Nice old bike - wot no mudguards? I carry similar amount plus two small front bags, one for tent the other for odds and ends (shopping; bots wine, patisseries, tins of cassoulet etc.)
That picture on your blog looks familiar - Nevers on the Loire? Was there only three weeks ago. Mind you one Loire bridge looks much like another!

The bike is so nice to ride. Find mudguards a pain for packing the bike for travel. Use them sometimes. Plenty of clearance on that old frame. However the bike has it's fair share of scratches etc. Collected a dint on the Top Tube at the airport on the way back last time. I won't fly with an expensive bike. Wasn't Nevers, though I did ride through there. It was Gien.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

theDaveB wrote:The reason for the trailer is am 17.5 stone, so thought a trailer would be less weight on the bike. If I lost a stone, then that stone could be gear on the bike and I could lose the trailer. But until that happens I will keep the trailer.

Dave

I weigh a good 14 stone and that Raleigh just bowls along no problem with my gear aboard so I can't see your bike complaining, especially if you lose some of the weight of your gear.
On that pic you can see the crappy pound shop lock I use. Never had a problem, but may add a rape alarm in the future. On one tour I forgot my lock. I parked the bike outside supermarkets and unshipped the chain and undid the front wheel skewer. It would take them a while to figure out why it wouldn't pedal. You can lay the bike down on campsites and put a tent peg through the back wheel. Not that I've ever bothered.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Looking at your bikes specs, assuming this is the right model http://www.decathlon.co.uk/original-520 ... nformation, a 28 - 28 bottom gear isn't a great climbing gear.
On hilly terrain and camping, I've got a 24 on the front and a 36 tooth cog on the rear.
Lots of people would struggle on a 28-28. (roughly 27 vs 18 gear inches)
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Si

Post by Si »

Trailers are just adding weight for no benefit IMO.

You are only saying that because MickF is away (towing his trailer) on tour :lol:

Having said that though, if I used his bikes I'd go for a trailer too.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

theDaveB wrote:I don't live in the best of areas, so just presume every where isn't safe. No idea how I would cope with having to stop mid route and going into a shop to buy something, I would want to take my bike and trailer in with me!

Dave

This^^^
I'm same. My right rear pannier was apart from cooking gear, choc full of food so I wouldn't have to stop anywhere :?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Si wrote:
Trailers are just adding weight for no benefit IMO.

You are only saying that because MickF is away (towing his trailer) on tour :lol:

Having said that though, if I used his bikes I'd go for a trailer too.

He's away is he? I was wondering what was going on, I was expecting him to come roaring in after my comment. :)
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

Vantage wrote:
theDaveB wrote:I don't live in the best of areas, so just presume every where isn't safe. No idea how I would cope with having to stop mid route and going into a shop to buy something, I would want to take my bike and trailer in with me!

Dave

This^^^
I'm same. My right rear pannier was apart from cooking gear, choc full of food so I wouldn't have to stop anywhere :?
It all adds up!
We only take a few bits n bobs for emergencies such as packet soups and other dry stuff which you can't buy in daily amounts, such as porridge oats and tea bags. Everything else bought on the day.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

With regards the NCN5 from Connah's Quay to Talacre, there are a few quiet road stretches and a half mile of cycle track, but the rest is on the main road. It's busy, but close overtakes are a rarity. Land ownership issues are causing a lot of problems putting in a cycle way all the way.

I've never understood why the route goes up through Bagillt, (one of the steepest ways up the Halkyn mountain), when there are easier and quieter routes available.

Looking at the route profile, I live at the highest point on it and work is at sea level. I would not like to do it fully laden.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Am thinking of doing it again Sunday the 31st but sticking to the coast road.

I had a look at maps online and can stay off the main road in parts and cycle along side on a B road and as you say there are some paths as well.

Dave
Last edited by theDaveB on 20 Aug 2014, 1:27pm, edited 1 time in total.