Do I need front panniers for touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
elioelio

Do I need front panniers for touring?

Post by elioelio »

Hi there. I'm new to touring and did a short 4 day tour in Scotland recently, camping, with 2 back panniers and my tent strapped to the rack. I had loads of extra room for food. I'm about to go on a 6 month tour, and will take pretty much the same stuff with me. I'll also have a big shopping type bag with me to carry panniers on flight with - which I can strap to the rack and put in extra stuff.
Basically - I see that the majority of tourers have front panniers. I can't imagine they all take more stuff with them than me. I weighed all my stuff in at 13kg, then always had about 4L water with me and food.
Are the front panniers for balance? I didn't have any problems with balance with everything on the back - but I am worried that there may be a strain on the bike in the long run?
I don't really want to take front panniers because of the extra weight.
Thanks
tatanab

Re: Do I need front panniers for touring?

Post by tatanab »

13kg with camping kit, tools, waterproofs, clothing etc is pretty good. Close to what I carry for a summer tour but the longest I've been away is only a month. I tend to organise my load by having front bags carrying very light items such as sleeping bag, then a large saddle bag for clothes etc with the tent carried behind the saddlebag. A bar bag for paperwork completes my set up. I have considered just using rear panniers instead of this, but cannot be bothered - and I don't have any. I am amazed at the amount of stuff some people carry, even just for a weekend away I've met people whose baggage is more than twice your 13kg.

Given this, I'd say stick with what you have.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

If having all the stuff on the rear doesn't affect the bike handling, and you have enough room for all your kit, then no, you don't need front panniers. I have camped with all my kit on the back (+ a small bar bag) - on one bike it was a bit whippy but I soon got used to it, while on another I didn't notice any difference in the ride apart from the weight up hills. I suppose that putting some of the load on the front reduces the strain on the back wheel but unless you are pretty heavy yourself it is unlikely to matter.

I think it was the late, great Richard Ballantyne who wrote that panniers rear AND front were just too much baggage. Personally I agree, though I'm sure that lots will not. Have a great time! :)

PS - where did you go in Scotland in the end?
Last edited by LollyKat on 18 Aug 2014, 5:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

If you haven't missed them you don't need them.

Bigger loads might be a bigger tent, more comfortable mat, warmer sleeping bag, more just-in-case spares, extra shoes, walking kit for days off the bike etc. etc.

Decent rack will do 25 kg.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If you don't need them, don't get them!

Lots will tell you they spread the load and give you better balance. I ride without them and don't feel unbalanced.

Things in favour:
Balance??
Carry more weight
Make you look like a'proper' tourer

Things against:
Cost (rack and bags about £200ish)
Always fill, so you carry more weight
When going on bus, plane, train, etc far more hassle with manhandling 4 bags
I think my bike is easier to handle without them
Etc, etc
patpalloon

Post by patpalloon »

simonhill wrote:If you don't need them, don't get them!

Things against:
Cost (rack and bags about £200ish)

I got a new front rack on eBay for £15 and new Ortlieb city panniers for under £60. Done 2 tours with them and very pleased with them.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
PH

Post by PH »

Well done if you're going to do 6 months on 13kg of kit. I'm happy to do a couple of weeks with that much kit but would start adding extra comfort on anything longer.
if you set off with two and then start adding kit you might find yourself stuck for somewhere to put it. Unless speed is high on your list of priorities, I'd consider taking the extra capacity to use if you need it.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I agree with the above but would suggest a bar bag if you don't already use one, not for balance but to keep valuables to hand. Quickly detached so that you can take it with you
'Kernow bys Vyken'
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

simonhill wrote:When going on bus, plane, train, etc far more hassle with manhandling 4 bags
I think my bike is easier to handle without them

I'm nitpicking, but I'll have to disagree on that one! - With my bike at least, with only 2 rear panniers, when you lift it the front end tends to point at the sky and the back end tries to scrape the ground. It's a pain when lugging it on trains, up and down stairs, over gates, etc. With 4 panniers, it stays level and is easy to pick up with one hand around the seat tube alone.

Maybe it's cos I still take too much with only 2 panniers :lol:
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Not nitpicking just your opinion, but they were meant to be 2 points.

The first in your quote was meant to be when having to remove panniers from the bike. Standing around with 4 panniers while supervising your bike being loaded on top of a bus or on a train is much more of a hassle/theft risk, etc than if you only have 2. Likewise when then carrying those 4 onto the bus or train, etc.

Obviously if you never take public transport it is not a problem.

May the debate continue.
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

simonhill wrote:The first in your quote was meant to be when having to remove panniers from the bike. Standing around with 4 panniers while supervising your bike being loaded on top of a bus or on a train is much more of a hassle/theft risk, etc than if you only have 2. Likewise when then carrying those 4 onto the bus or train, etc..

I tend to lug the bike on trains first and sort out removing the panniers afterwards. Although I'll admit, sometimes space getting on and off is restricted and that's not always possible.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

simonhill wrote:Standing around with 4 panniers while supervising your bike being loaded on top of a bus or on a train is much more of a hassle/theft risk, etc than if you only have 2. Likewise when then carrying those 4 onto the bus or train, etc.

^^^This.

You wouldn't catch me using a bar bag even, for the same reason. 13kg sounds quite good for camping, I take about that for hostelling, depending on what you count as luggage.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
elioelio

Post by elioelio »

Hey thanks for the replies. I think I will do without then! I guess I can always buy some when I'm out there if I need them. The 4-bags-thing was an issue too. And I'm glad 13kg seems good! Maybe I will take that cheese grater/shoes/ extra jumper.
Oh and Lollycat - I went From Fort William to Beauly via loch Quoich and a bit of the great glen way. Was amazing! Especially Quoich.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

elioelio wrote:Oh and Lollycat - I went From Fort William to Beauly via loch Quoich and a bit of the great glen way. Was amazing! Especially Quoich.

Thanks - it's on my "to-do" list :D .
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

axel_knutt wrote:You wouldn't catch me using a bar bag even, for the same reason........................................................

A fair point - one of our club members, whilst cycling in India, had their bar-bag literally ripped off the handlebars by the pillion rider on a moped! That was her passport, phone, ipod and other essentials gone - it makes you think?

A bit off topic but out of interest, where/how would you recommend carrying said valuables?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey