Cycling in Spain late August to mid September

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RickH

Cycling in Spain late August to mid September

Post by RickH »

Love it, hate it or couldn't care less, if you are planning to cycle in Southern Spain between 23rd & 29th August or Northern Spain between 3rd & 14th September (plus a few places in the middle on intervening dates) don't forget to take into account that the rolling circus of the Vuelta is happening then. If you wonder if it might affect your route, or you'd like to see some of it, details of where they'll be and when are to be found here.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mnichols

Re: Cycling in Spain late August to mid September

Post by mnichols »

Thanks for the heads up. I'm doing Barcelona to Bordeaux from 5th September along the Raid Pyrenees route and hadn't even considered it

I think we will just miss them but may be there will be a few more cyclists around than usual
southerly

Re: Cycling in Spain late August to mid September

Post by southerly »

Having lived in southern Spain/Andalucia for 7 years all I have to say is you must be crazy. The Med coast is so dangerous it's a complete no-no and if you go inland you can definately expect temps. of 35C - 45C. Those are seriously dangerous for your health, which is why I gave up cycling from May to end of September.

Now if your talking the winter, that's something completely different, do be aware that there are autoroutes and RN/ruta nacional and very little else - that's why La Vuelta has to use RNs so much -buena fortuna.
ps - look out for the drunken Spanish drivers, the sober ones are very considerate like the French.

Stuart