Canada

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
matt2matt2002

Canada

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I had been thinking of a trans USA tour next year but with all the visa hassle, I am now thinking of Canada.
As a UK passport holder I think I can get in for 6 months with minimal/no problems.

Anyone ever been across, coast to coast?
Or advice on info source?
Thanks
Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
loafer

Re: Canada

Post by loafer »

great place for good info http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

A mate cycled it W to E a few years ago. He said it was the wrong way on the prairies. He cycled against the wind day after day and also reckoned it was uphill. Not sure about the uphill bit, but you should definitely check prevailing winds.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Given that we are discussing weather, nothing is certain but change. The prevailing winds in Canada — notably on the broad, flat prairies where shelter is rarer than hills — are westerlies.

It's sunny here in Saskatchewan right now, with a mild southerly breeze and temperatures in the mid-20's 8). (But you 'd better hurry: there are thunderstorms predicted for later this afternoon :( .)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry in my post I said my mate cycled W to E, I saw him last night and he said it was E to W!. Hence the headwinds.

He did it the 'wrong' way because he wanted to go to a music festival and also end up at a friends place in Vancouver.

My point really was to check the wind. This still holds true. I meet many people who cycle a route based on personal criteria, taking no account of the wind. Many regret it.

Sorry for the confusion.