Steps at Dinard from the ferry

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
davetb

Steps at Dinard from the ferry

Post by davetb »

Hi Can any one tell me how bad the steps are from the ferry crossing St Malo to Dinard, I have heard a couple of reports about them and as my wife and I are not young any more wondered what it would be like with fully loaded bikes
Thanks
aquilo

Re: Steps at Dinard from the ferry

Post by aquilo »

Hi
The place you get off depends on the height of the tide along the slipway at Dinard when coming from St Malo. so basically you just make a short step up of the boat, but there is usually someone there to help anyway. Once off there are no steps up towards the town that you need to take.

Hope that helps
daddig

Post by daddig »

Not sure which ferry was used by previous poster. However my partner and I used the ferry to Dinard and did have steps to climb. One loaded bike at a time solved the challenge as they are steep but short ! Though to one very helpful Frenchmans dismay my partners bike was heavier than he expected. The look of dismay on his face was priceless .
We incidently are 57 and 65 respectively
Mike G
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

The ferry I saw there last year appeared to be a series of zigzagging gangways which was enough to put me off!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As a frequent solo traveller, of advancing years, you have my sympathy - there's an irony there isn't there! The older we get, the more comforts we want, the heavy the bloomin' bike gets...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
aquilo

Post by aquilo »

Could be different boats go to different slips or jetties, but the departure point at St Malo is the slipway below the ticket office and the main arrival slipway is in the picture on the website at http://www.compagniecorsaire.com/destin ... inard.html

Although I have also been dropped off at another slip away from the one in the picture.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

aquilo wrote:Could be different boats go to different slips or jetties, but the departure point at St Malo is the slipway below the ticket office and the main arrival slipway is in the picture on the website at http://www.compagniecorsaire.com/destin ... inard.html

Although I have also been dropped off at another slip away from the one in the picture.

Yes that's the one used it last week. The steps in question are not on the jetty itself but are around the back of that wooden structure. I'd say about a dozen wooden steps from memory with no way of avoiding them that i could see. I managed to carry a loaded bike up them but it isn't easy. With two of you it would be feasible to carry the bags up separately of course which should make it possible. There are likely to be people about from the ferry who could help.
aquilo

Post by aquilo »

Yes you are right, there are steps behind the office. I was just thinking of getting of the boat. My mistake.
davetb

Post by davetb »

Thanks everyone; that clears it up nicely:o)
We have decided to cross over at Pont Hubert and enjoy the east side first, seems a fairly easy route (now I will get lost!)

Yes as someone said, as you get older you need more comfort and therefore the bags get heavier:o) even with a very light tent. The ground also gets harder so we will also use Gites etc. :o)
Thanks again