Windermere to pick up way of roses

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hgtevelo

Windermere to pick up way of roses

Post by hgtevelo »

Hi

Does anybody know of a decent quite route that I could take from Windermere to get me on the way of the roses route, join it and maybe Settle or Ingleton?
mrjemm

Re: Windermere to pick up way of roses

Post by mrjemm »

On phone, and off top of head...

Windm on b5284 to Crook, off to Brigsteer, Levens, Milnthorpe... Off onto back lanes (either Yealands or Arnside) to Carnforth, where you cross over a6 & head to Nether Kellet. Turn left towards Over Keller, then 1st right towards Halton, but turn left after quarries up to Kirkby Lonsdale Rd... You now on WOTR.

Make sense?
hgtevelo

Post by hgtevelo »

Yes it does thanks, just had a thought, is there a cycle route that goes to Morecambe from Windermere?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

NCN route 6 goes from Windermere town and through Kendal. Follow to Hest Bank (north Morcambe and pick up coastal road - Route 69 which is the WoR Route.

Personally I would follow mrjemm's route to Carnforth and then maybe pick up Route 6 or stick to Halton.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
hgtevelo

Post by hgtevelo »

Thanks for taking the time to reply guy's. One more question, with the routes suggested how many miles would each be to pick up WOR as then going onto Harrogate
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

cycleruk wrote:...or stick to Halton.

But to leave my route, i.e. Stay on the back road to Halton would be going back towards Morecambe surely, and only mean an extra hill (after my turn off (at the 'Power House') between there and Halton), a bit of riverside path and Halton Park Hill. Though there is a barky dog at the farm up by KL Rd...

Can't recall route 6 around there. Sitting in a pub in Aberdeen right now...

As always, when talking routes of any distance, I'd advise against the canal, in case that entered your mind! Looks tempting on a map, but gone to pot in the last year or so, even between Carn & Lanc.

Couldn't guess at distances, sorry.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Windermere to Halton about 30 miles.
The start at Morecambe will be a couple of miles extra if you divert to the coast road at Hest Bank.
Roughly 7 miles from Morecambe to Halton.
http://wayoftheroses.info/route
hgtevelo

Post by hgtevelo »

Cheers guy's thanks for info and taking time to reply
hgtevelo

Post by hgtevelo »

Just picked up a WOR map and looks like I could stick on the b6254 at Over Kelley and then cut off on what looks like route 90? towards Gressingham, does that seem viable? No experience of the b6254, so don't know what it's like but it may cut few miles off , rather than going to Halton? It might not though lol !
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

The B6254 is a good road.
There's also a route from Borwick to the 6254 for Gressingham.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

hgtevelo wrote:Just picked up a WOR map and looks like I could stick on the b6254 at Over Kelley and then cut off on what looks like route 90? towards Gressingham, does that seem viable? No experience of the b6254, so don't know what it's like but it may cut few miles off , rather than going to Halton? It might not though lol !

Yes, the b6254 is great. I'd head to gressingham, except the bridge is shut for repairs.... I passed today and closed until October. See here http://wayoftheroses.info/news/story/lune_valley_detour

The alternative would be to cross the lune at Halton then take the bike path to just before Claughton, then short stretch on main road to Hornby. It's not too bad for an A road. The other alternative is b6254 to kirby Lonsdale, then blast down the A road to wray. I'd describe that stretch as tolerable at most times of the day if not very enjoyable. The only A road that's really dangerous is A65.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Thanks for the warning Geocycle.
I would concur with the route to keep on the cyclepath, A683. Then either Hornby (post office tea room) or B6480 to Wray (Bridge House tea room).

To Hgtevelo - The route out of Morecambe follows a cyclepath to the "Crook o' Lune" (Boat Wood) where it crosses to the north side of the river (Low Rd.) At this point the cycle path still carries on for about a 1.5 miles and comes out on the A683.
hgtevelo

Post by hgtevelo »

Fantastic info guy's can't thank you enough. So it looks like only alternative is to cross Lune is Halton or Caton Line Bridge? The diversion mentioned on the website for Gressingham seems a bit vague to a dimwit like myself lol!
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I'd echo cycleruk's earlier suggestion of the road from Borwick. You could use this route which avoids the road closure: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Borwi ... !3e1?hl=en

This bit of that route is the diversion mentioned on the official site down Rabbit Lane (Google doesn't recognise that name and I'm not sure it's signed as Rabbit Lane but there is a blue route 90 - Lancashire Cycleway - sign): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/54.13 ... !3e1?hl=en
hgtevelo

Post by hgtevelo »

Ah Bicycler, is that the route 90 Lancashire cycle way? Which avoids the bridge I take it....

I did look at taking route 90 from Borwick, but your very kind map looks to thankfully cut out the bit via Gunnerthwaite