Touring the Isle of Mull

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)

Touring the Isle of Mull

Postby graymee » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:29 pm

The wife and I are going to Mull in a couple of weeks. We only plan to do approximately 30 miles per day and plan to camp alternating between camp sites and wild camping. Anyone got any hints, tips, advice?
Graymee

I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!
graymee

Re: Touring the Isle of Mull

Postby bogmyrtle » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:49 pm

The hostel on Iona is very good. It's best to get a late afternoon ferry over, that way you avoid the coachloads that swamp the place during the day and you can appreciate the true tranquility of the island.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
bogmyrtle

Postby patpalloon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:35 pm

You can wild camp on Calgary beach. Lovely spot and there are publuc loos, no showers. There's also a campsite right by Craignure ferry, quite busy though.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
patpalloon

Postby rualexander » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:12 pm

Wild camping is easy on Mull, plenty of superb locations and finding water is not difficult.
On Iona the western coast has a great beach where you can wild camp between the golf course and the beach, water a bit trickier to find but there are a couple of small burns nearby if you can find them, or you can carry water over from the toilets at the ferry terminal.
rualexander

Postby Merry_Wanderer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:11 am

Visit Loch Buie old post office for tea and cakes and more. It has an honesty box and is open until late. Wild camping there would be good
Merry_Wanderer

Postby PH » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:23 pm

bogmyrtle wrote:The hostel on Iona is very good. It's best to get a late afternoon ferry over, that way you avoid the coachloads that swamp the place during the day and you can appreciate the true tranquility of the island.

+1 exactly that
PH

Postby graymee » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:11 pm

I had planned to camp at Fionnphort and take the ferry to Iona as a foot passenger but I see that you can take bikes across. Can you wild camp on Iona? does anyone have any more info on the hostel, a link perhaps?
Graymee

I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!
graymee

Postby Dean » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:36 pm

http://www.ionahostel.co.uk

http://www.independenthostelguide.co.uk ... hostel=184

The campsite at Fionnphort is very nice, but very exposed. Wild camping might be better if (!) it's windy.

Oh, and while you're there, do take the boat to Staffa. It's a half day trip from Fionnphort or Iona.
Dean

Postby feefee8 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:14 pm

Merry_Wanderer wrote:Visit Loch Buie old post office for tea and cakes and more. It has an honesty box and is open until late. Wild camping there would be good

+1 This is a gem. Moy Castle is down there and there's a coastal path to Carsaig if you fancy a wander.

Also there are boat trips to Staffa and Iona from Ulva Ferry which is 10 miles from Salen.
feefee8

Return to Touring & Expedition