Specialized Tricross Comp

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Donut

Specialized Tricross Comp

Post by Donut »

Hello
I have a Specialized Tricross Comp (2008 I think). I would like to do some light touring and could do with changing some of my gearing for lugging up hill.

Currently it has:-
Front - FSA Gossamer (175mm) 48/34T with 105 derailleur
Rear - 12-27 Ultegra 10 speed cassette and Ultegra derailleur

What is my best option?

I believe I can put a cassette on up to 30 - so was considering a Ultegra 12-30T but would I be better off trying to change my front small chain ring to a 32 or 30 - is this possible? What about a combination of 32 front and a 11-28T rear?

The 48 front and 12 rear is fine for down hill at the moment as I'm not really a speed merchant :D

Thanks for any advice
Richard
531colin

Re: Specialized Tricross Comp

Post by 531colin »

Rear....27 to 30 T......that's about 11% change
Front ....34 to 30 T....that's about 12% change
Do both and bottom gear will be around 25% lower, which is noticeable, I don't think you will notice much difference if you just do one or the other.

(doesn't the "Tri" in "Tricross" stand for "triple chainset".....?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Thanks for the reply
The Tri cross's lower in the range had triples the comp has a compact :?

The 30 rear and 30 front would certainly get me the best ration - do you know if it is possible without changing by derailleurs?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Now I think about it :roll: your possible chainring size is limited by the "bolt circle diameter"....http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bcd
Ultegra rear mech. specs. are probably here somewhere...http://si.shimano.com/#seriesList/38....you should find the biggest sprocket your mech. is "meant" to take....however, those specs. are a bit conservative, you can often run a bigger sprocket in the real world than the specs. say.
I wouldn't splash out on an Ultegra cassette personally, it will only save you a few grams over the cheapest, and is no more durable.
(but then, I wouldn't splash out on 10 speed, either....)