Long distance MTB routes in the UK?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
shane

Re: Long distance MTB routes in the UK?

Post by shane »

Bothy's good idea, hadn't thought of that, I'm more than happy to get a hotel from time to time when I hit town too :)

Thx
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

We still have some good hostels and bunkhouses dotted around the country (though admittedly many of the more rural ones close during the winter).
StirlingCrispin

Post by StirlingCrispin »

The problem with a bothy in November is getting it warm.

Met a lass last November who was walking the Cape Wrath way and she camped next to bothies for this reason ( we were travelling as a group of four and could carry coal).
james-o

Post by james-o »

http://selfsupporteduk.net/

Some useful route ideas here, perhaps a section of the EWE as a base for a trip. The Highland Trail looks like a good one but apparently has a fair bit of hike-a-bike, could avoid some of those bits with some route research though.
irc

Post by irc »

StirlingCrispin wrote:The problem with a bothy in November is getting it warm.

Met a lass last November who was walking the Cape Wrath way and she camped next to bothies for this reason ( we were travelling as a group of four and could carry coal).

Though I'd take a cold dry bothy over a cramped tent in wet conditions. Shouldn't be an issue with a decent sleeping bag and a down jacket for lounging about the bothy. I've also carried a 10kg bag of coal into a bothy (Blackburn of Corrieyairick) on the back of my bike. Obviously only if the track in is relatively good or short.

Depends on the bothy as well. Small bothies with wooden floors and lined walls don't take a huge fire to warm up. A bike also makes it practical to go a bit further afield for gathering wood.
shane

Post by shane »

james-o wrote:http://selfsupporteduk.net/

My, my, thats some serious inspiration. Think I'll have a crack at a C2C + lake district in November, then Scotland in the spring. New bike is on its way so time to get some frame bags sewn together >:)