Long distance MTB routes in the UK?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)

Re: Long distance MTB routes in the UK?

Postby shane » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:40 pm

Bothy's good idea, hadn't thought of that, I'm more than happy to get a hotel from time to time when I hit town too :)

Thx
shane

Postby Bicycler » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:58 pm

We still have some good hostels and bunkhouses dotted around the country (though admittedly many of the more rural ones close during the winter).
Bicycler

Postby StirlingCrispin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:32 pm

The problem with a bothy in November is getting it warm.

Met a lass last November who was walking the Cape Wrath way and she camped next to bothies for this reason ( we were travelling as a group of four and could carry coal).
StirlingCrispin

Postby james-o » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:39 pm

http://selfsupporteduk.net/

Some useful route ideas here, perhaps a section of the EWE as a base for a trip. The Highland Trail looks like a good one but apparently has a fair bit of hike-a-bike, could avoid some of those bits with some route research though.
james-o

Postby irc » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:18 pm

StirlingCrispin wrote:The problem with a bothy in November is getting it warm.

Met a lass last November who was walking the Cape Wrath way and she camped next to bothies for this reason ( we were travelling as a group of four and could carry coal).

Though I'd take a cold dry bothy over a cramped tent in wet conditions. Shouldn't be an issue with a decent sleeping bag and a down jacket for lounging about the bothy. I've also carried a 10kg bag of coal into a bothy (Blackburn of Corrieyairick) on the back of my bike. Obviously only if the track in is relatively good or short.

Depends on the bothy as well. Small bothies with wooden floors and lined walls don't take a huge fire to warm up. A bike also makes it practical to go a bit further afield for gathering wood.
irc

Postby shane » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:06 pm

james-o wrote:http://selfsupporteduk.net/

My, my, thats some serious inspiration. Think I'll have a crack at a C2C + lake district in November, then Scotland in the spring. New bike is on its way so time to get some frame bags sewn together >:)
shane

Previous

Return to Touring & Expedition