Shrewsbury to London cycle...any advice please?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BobTheCyclist

Shrewsbury to London cycle...any advice please?

Post by BobTheCyclist »

Hi all

I'm planning a trip shortly from Shrewsbury to London.
I am hoping that someone will able to give advice on my route, and also any places of interest on the way.

DAY 1.SHREWSBURY TO STOW-ON-THE WOLD

Shrewsbury to Bridgnorth (via A458)
Bridgnorth to Worcester (via B4363 to Bewdley, then A4443)
Worcester to Evesham (via B4084)
Evesham to Stow on the Wold (via B4077)

DAY 2..STOW-ON-THE-WOLD TO WEST LONDON (HOUNSLOW)

Mixture of back roads and B roads to Oxford.
Oxford to Henley on Thames (via B480)
Henley on Thames to Windsor (via A321 & B3024)
Then A30 To Hounslow

If anyone could give advice on this route, Id be very grateful!

Thanks

Bob
oxon_gad

Re: Shrewsbury to London cycle...any advice please?

Post by oxon_gad »

I can't comment on the first bit, but your route from Oxford to Windsor looks fine.
B480 is nice and quiet once you get out of the industrial outskirts of Oxford (Cowley).

The B480 climb up the Chilterns scarp out of Watlington is a bit of a killer: for an alternative (longer but not quite so steep) head out of Watlington on the B4009, go under the M40 and take the first right (not the sliproad!). This is Aston Hill, and a pleasant spin up to the top.

From here, if you're still aiming at Henley you can cut across via Christmas Common, or if you just want to get into London via the most direct route then follow the A40 to Denham then the A4020 through from Uxbridge. The A40 route is fine, nothing unfriendly or anything, but your Henley to Windsor route is much more pleasant!
deckertim

Post by deckertim »

If it is not too late, take a look at the route of the Windsor Chester Windsor 600km audacious
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-464/ lovely quiet route that should suit
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

Depends whether you mind doing a few more miles . I live by Ironbridge which has many attractions , I would follow the road to Atcham Bridge out of Shrewsbury its the old A5 Watling road and turn left down the B road to Ironbridge passed Wroxeter roman city , good views of the Severn before Ironbridge, then Coalport and if on a tourer the Sustrans route on the old railway line to Bridgnorth , very nice route but not fast