Touring bike alternatives?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
AaronR

Re: Touring bike alternatives?

Post by AaronR »

See what condition its in by the end of May next year after daily commuting between now and the 1st May, then a 12-14 day JOGLE trip :D
ossie

Post by ossie »

AaronR wrote:Piccy here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21583957@ ... hotostream

Steel frame with a brushed metal finish, all usual quality Specialized finishing bits - I used Nimbus Armadillo on a previous bike and got the rear down to canvas without a puncture, had forgotten about them!

well done, great buy .
severs1966

Post by severs1966 »

I strongly recommend a set of narrower, smoother tread tyres if you are primarily road touring. You probably already figured that out.

Schwalbe Marathons seem to be available in all kinds of sizes.

Beyond that, you can certainly tour on this bike, and indeed loads of people tour on MTBs.
peckham

Post by peckham »

This person got together his touring bike very cheaply!
http://tomsbiketrip.com/how-to-go-cycle ... ks-part-1/
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

peckham wrote:This person got together his touring bike very cheaply!
http://tomsbiketrip.com/how-to-go-cycle ... ks-part-1/

I enjoyed reading that!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Did you read about his tour with it? http://tomsbiketrip.com/how-far-can-you ... ring-bike/

I like his philosophy. We get too obsessed with gear sometimes.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Great stuff. Couldn't resist buying the 'Janapar' DVD.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Neil C wrote:I was too tight to pay the extra for the Armadillos but not regretting it yet!
I find 'dillos overrated; they are heavy, have a harsh ride and the last one I used got a flat in under 200 miles. I've been using Panasonic Ribmos lately and like 'em; they are light, stick to the road and wear well my back one has about 6000 on it, with 2 flats since new (one I think was a bad tube)

If you're still thinking of bikes, there's a disc version of the Trek 520 out now, looks sweet,I've got 45,000 on mine and love it. The original Vee brakes were crap and I replaced the front one with a Single Digit Ultimate which is much better (and much more expensive), the original SD-5 is adequate for the back.

I once met a man in Virginia who had rode a Schwinn that he had found in a ditch from Los Angeles a distance of about 2500 miles, his bike was utter rubbish but it goes to show you can tour on about anything.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pete Jack wrote:I find 'dillos overrated; they are heavy, have a harsh ride and the last one I used got a flat in under 200 miles

I've opined before that I think 'dillos changed some time 2010-2012, becoming stickier and so picking up debris long enough to get hammered into the tyre.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
peckham

Post by peckham »

I went to Morroco and spain on a Rockhopper, with a couple of panniers on the back...that was eighteen years ago...It was a very good bike...
johnonhisbike

Post by johnonhisbike »

If you've a good local bike shop that you can trust and that does second hand as well as new, just go and have a chat, and see what they have to offer. For a trip like that which you are planning (allegedly!) I'm pretty sure that you'll have lots of choices at a range of prices, that will fit the bill. Another possibility is that, in our town certainly, and I'm sure others too, you'll find a 'Community Bicycle Shop' that sells cheap reconditioned bikes; lots of bargains if you look out.
Whatever you finish up riding, hope you enjoy your trip.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

I've been using Schwalbe Big Apple's, 26 x 2.00, on my Dawes One Down and like how well they roll but after about 800 miles they have a lot of deep cuts on the tread.
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!