Switzerland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
footekd

Switzerland

Post by footekd »

I am planning to cycle from Paris to Venice, via Zug in September. I intend to stay in B+B, hostels and hotels. I would welcome any advice on planning my route, accommodation, kit, transport (if I get behind schedule), good English language websites etc. Many thanks.
Keith.
foxyrider

Re: Switzerland

Post by foxyrider »

Everything you need for Switzerland, routes, accomodation etc can be found on the swiss tourist board site http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-gb/inte ... cling.html Included on there are all the recommended cycle routes and tips on accomodation, places of interest etc.

Most town and attraction web sites are available in English and they speak English in most places, maybe less so in the French speaking west but i've never found it to be an issue.

Trains, boats and most out of town buses will carry bikes if you get stuck. Accomodation can be expensive but increasingly campsites are offering huts in the Scandinavian style which whilst self catering are a step up from camping and a lot cheaper than hotels - worth checking out.

Some of the passes take a long time to climb - its not their steepness per se but you can be climbing for 20-30km sometimes. Make allowances for that and try to avoid crossing later in the day - you'll be tired and the weather has a habit of getting a bit nasty too! Last year there was still lying snow at the top of some passes in August and at the top of the Grimsel it was down to 2c!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
keithg

Post by keithg »

I left Venice airport last year on a tour through Switzerland to France and found the following route pretty good and takes you through the Dolomites arguably the prettiest part of Europe if you like mountains. You'd be doing it the other way around...of course!!!!
There was an old road north out of Venice, bypassed by the motorway up the River Piave valley which joins up with the excellent bike track using an old railway via Cortina d'Ampezzo to Dobbiaco where you can head down (or up in your case!) the Rienza valley via Brunico to Brixen and Bozen. Head to Merano (v cycle friendly town) on more good bike tracks up the Adige valley and over the Stelvio and Umbrai pass if you're adventurous or further north via Nauders if you're not, into the lower Engadine and Eastern Switzerland. I continued west but you'd be going east obviously.
I went along over the Albula Pass near St Moritz from there to go along the Rhine bike path to the Rhone valley bike path.
I do like mountain passes and bike tracks though but this route worked well for me and you could use it in reverse.
Leaving Venice airport was OK, some busy roads but it was a Saturday pm so quieter than usual. For Giro d'Italian reasons I wanted to do Monte Grappa so I headed west and came around by Feltre and Belluno on country roads and it was lovely. I don't think there is a bike friendly way into Maestre airport if that is where you are headed.
I should say that Switzerland is horribly expensive to spend time in, their currency is very strong and cafes and eating out is about double or more the price of the UK. The hostels are pretty good though.
Have fun!
Another Keith
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

> A pricey place to visit but neat and tidy just about everywhere - that's the Swiss for you
> A camping municipal on the shores of Lake Geneva for one night/one tent/2 persons = 32 Swiss Francs = £21 :o
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey