Norway from the South to Trondheim

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
s_b

Norway from the South to Trondheim

Post by s_b »

Trying to plan a route from one of the ferry ports on the South coast of Norway (ferry from Denmark) to Trondheim without going round the coast or using the E6. But every route I try seems to end up on the coast or on the E6 or in a banned tunnel. Does anyone know a way through? Touring bikes so nothing too extreme off road.
To complicate things, I'd really like to call in at Rjukan if possible, though it's looking like I'll have to give up on that.
pal

Re: Norway from the South to Trondheim

Post by pal »

It's hard to avoid both coast and E6 all the way, but a possible route might be Kristiansand to Haukeligrend (pretty much due north up the Rv9), then up to Odda (E134 and Rv13), north again up to Voss, and down to the Sognefjord (still on the Rv13). Then things get a bit trickier (given your constraints). One option would be to bear (slightly) west (Fjorde > Stryn or Nordfjordeid > Geiranger), which would get you to the coast at Andalsnes (from where it's a nice run up to the Atlantic Highway; one unavoidable banned tunnel at Kristiansund [you have to take a 15 minute bus ride: bikes taken without problem, though], and the coast road to Trondheim). Another option (from the Sognefjord) would be to head East, over the Sognefjellsvegen (a great road!) to Lom and Dombas; there's then a short stretch on the E6 (though it's marked as a recommended cycle route at that point...) up to Oppdal, at which point you could divert on the Rv70/Rv700 to Meldal and Trondheim. A third option would be to head to Lom from the Sognefjord, but then cut back over to the coast from there (which would save you the E6 stretch, but leave you with the small tunnel problem at Kristiansund...)

To include Rjukan, I suppose that instead of turning West at Haukeligrend, you'd just head East instead (down the Rv362/37). From there, perhaps you could head up Numedalen (Rv40) to Geilo, then over to Gol, then Rv51 up to Eidsbugarden (there's a bit of unsurfaced road on this section, but it's easily manageable on a road bike: less lumpy than some UK tarmac...); boat ride down Lake Bygdin (again: bikes no problem); then back on Rv51 up to Dombas (then as above).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There's not much in Norway that isn't either on a coast or through a tunnel ;)

Tunnels should all have a work-around of some sort. It might be an old road or a bus. Generally speaking, bikes are allowed on buses and trains in Norway, though some routes may require advance booking.

I don't know all of pal's route, but I might suggest from Rjukan, Kongsberg, Hønefoss, north of Oslo to Eidsvoll, Rv 181, Rv24, Rv3, Rv30. From there, there is a choice of all on-road Rv705, then a road along the fjord; or Rv30, then mixed surfaces Fv630, to gravel track to Fv671...

Alternatively, if you want to go to Oslo, Kongsberg, Drammen, Oslo, then north.

Why do you want to avoid coast? If a little coast is okay, you can go up through Vestfold, then Drammen, Kongsberg, Rjukan? Then back and north via one of the alternatives above?

If you haven't found it already, http://www.vegdata.no/2014/06/17/cyclin ... an-tunnels is useful. There is a link 'Link to this vegkart-query'. If you click on it, there is a nice map that shows tunnels, and the status with regard to cyclists. It's also a better map than Google :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Some additional thoughts occurred to me.... do you count the fjords as coast? If so, much of pal's route is coast. However, to miss the fjords in western Norway would be to miss some of the most beautiful scenery in a beautiful country.

When will you go? Are you camping? The inland route is probably swarming with mozzies this time of year.

If it's riding on the coast you don't want, you can use ferry service along much of the west coast?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pal

Post by pal »

However, to miss the fjords in western Norway would be to miss some of the most beautiful scenery in a beautiful country.

+1 for this! And, if you're travelling in the summer season, you can use some of the tourist boat services through the fjords if you ever need a bit of a breather (as well as the services up the coast, as Vorpal says).

Vorpal's right about the Inland Mozzies, too...

For large-scale route planning in Norway, by the way (and armchair travelling!), I use the 'Sykkelruter i Norge' map( http://www.nomaden.no/main/index.php?option=com_phpshop&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=7795): it's a little bit out of date now (esp. on the ferry routes it shows), but it gives a sense of which routes are feasible (and shows the banned tunnels), so it can be a good way to sketch out a general route before getting down to details.
s_b

Post by s_b »

Thanks very much for all that information, We do like cycling along the coast and fjords, the only reason for avoiding them was that it seems a very long way to go round the coast (+ I've always wanted to cycle the road that goes by Gausta as we've often skied on it in winter). Going for the first 3 weeks of August and camping - so perhaps should consider leaving Rjukan for another time. I'll get the maps out and have another look at what you are recommending.
syklist

Post by syklist »

s_b wrote:Trying to plan a route from one of the ferry ports on the South coast of Norway (ferry from Denmark) to Trondheim without going round the coast or using the E6. But every route I try seems to end up on the coast or on the E6 or in a banned tunnel. Does anyone know a way through? Touring bikes so nothing too extreme off road.
To complicate things, I'd really like to call in at Rjukan if possible, though it's looking like I'll have to give up on that.

There is at least one way I know of that puts you on the E6 for only a day. It does involve a day of mostly gravel track between Vågåmo and Lesja. The E6 section is between Dombås and Oppdal.

This route starts in Kristiansand, following the Setesdal route up to Haukeli, then Rauland and Rjukan. I have cycled this bit a few years back so am fairly sure it is free of tunnel surprises. From Rjukan you can cut up to Geilo* (Rjukan-Dagali is the only bit I haven't cycled on this route). From Geilo you can take the busy Rv 7 to Gol, (or the gravel cycle route 4 on the other side of the valley. Be warned it is hard work but do-able with 38/42mm wide tyres.) up over Golsfjellet to Fagernes, Beitostølen, then Vågåmo-Lesja on gravel. From Dombås there is no real choice but to take the E6 to Oppdal. We did that section in really bad weather in a day.

Thereafter you can avoid the E6 all the way to Trondheim by taking the valley via Meldal up to Orkanger. After Orkanger you end up taking the old main road to Trondheim. This road is generally quiet and gives you some lovely views of the fjord.

I'd like to point out that this route involves a series of big climbs, although in my opinion well worth doing. However, even though the coastal route is longer you might well find out that it takes less time to go round the outside.

Another alternative is to take the NSCR to Moss, then pick up cycle route 9 that runs up the east of Norway via Elverum, Akrestrømmen, Rorøs, Selbu to Trondheim. I did this in 2008 the other way round. The scenery round lake Femund is quite spectacular, rivalling the fjords IMHO. There are some home made maps of route 9 on my website.

Banned tunnels try the Norwegian Tunnel map on the cycletourer.co.uk website. If you want to check the scenery then kart.finn.no has some excellent satellite imagery.

*this does cut out a truly lovely valley between Uvdal Stave church and Dagali. Gravel track but in excellent condition when we went down it a few weeks ago.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
syklist

Post by syklist »

pal wrote:For large-scale route planning in Norway, by the way (and armchair travelling!), I use the 'Sykkelruter i Norge' map( http://www.nomaden.no/main/index.php?option=com_phpshop&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=7795): it's a little bit out of date now (esp. on the ferry routes it shows), but it gives a sense of which routes are feasible (and shows the banned tunnels), so it can be a good way to sketch out a general route before getting down to details.

Thanks for that link. I already have a much used copy of that map but have been unable to find it in a nettbutikk in the last couple of years. It used to be for sale on the SLF website but then they 'improved' their website...
So long and thanks for all the fish...
andrew549

Post by andrew549 »

I was recently given a fairly detailed route for Trondheim to Kristiansand, it avoids the E6 completely and sticks mainly to smaller roads. This shows the route most of the way to Oslo and the details can be found here although they run from Trondheim south.

http://andrewwaterfield.blogspot.co.uk/ ... dvice.html

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/63.3437 ... 0?hl=en-GB