Clothing layers for Touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
skicat

Clothing layers for Touring

Post by skicat »

It seems odd to be posting this part-way through a heatwave, but I'm doing a JoGLE during the last week of September and first week of October and I suspect it may not be quite as warm then :wink:

I'm new to touring and I'm trying to decide what I need to take in terms of clothing layers. I'm usually a fair weather rider (yes, I understand this is out of my control once the tour has started), so I only own 2 cycling tops - a Specialized short-sleeve jersey and an Altura Nevis waterproof jacket. Combinations of these 2 have got me everywhere I've needed to get to so far, but I'm not sure they'll be enough for Scotland in late September. I also have a very light, thin fleece that I've worn for skiing. Never tried it for cycling though. Obviously I'm trying to do this carrying as little weight as possible. What combinations have you found work best in mixed situations like this?
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
foxyrider

Re: Clothing layers for Touring

Post by foxyrider »

arm warmers - converts your short sleeve into long making it multi purpose - you could so the same with legs. I always take a light fleece on tour, great for those cool evenings but also as an extra riding layer if it turns chilly. If you use bibshorts they replace the need for a vest and are more comfortable than having something tied round your middle!

Having said that, unless you want to be Billy no mates by the end, you need some more kit - Lidl have some very serviceable but cheap jerseys and shorts - i've used them myself and they are as good as some stuff costing many times as much.

I'd suggest three sets of gear, ride one, wash/dry one, spare one - obviously you only need one jacket, arm/leg warmers, fleece. You might want to consider some form of lightweight over shoe and some thin fingered gloves - nothing worse than cold hands and feet.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
hamster

Post by hamster »

Definitely a light fleece cycle jacket is worth adding - the long zip at th efront allows finer control of temperature. If you wash it in Nikwax you can also make it water-repellent, which is handy on drizzly days.
Personally I would be wearing 3/4 length bibs at that time of the year, with a short sleeve jersey plus arm warmers if necessary. A windproof gilet could make a good alternative to the fleece.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Layers are Your Friend: add for warmth, remove for cooling. Two thin ones more flexible than one thick one.

Windproofing is good on a bike, on a JoGLE you'll generate plenty of heat so insulation is less important than fending off simple wind-chill a lot of the time. While a waterproof is windproof they're also a bit sweaty as tie goes on. A simple windproof is more breathable, and most will see off a shower before you have to get the Battle Armour out.

Make sure everything you have is long enough in the back (I'm assuming a conventional bike, if you're taking it properly comfortably on a 'bent this isn't an issue, and nor are contrived padded trousers).

Never bothered with arm-warmers, I wear long sleeves I can roll up...

Merino wool is a good base layer. Aside from working very well they go a lot further than synthetics before they really honk, which is nice for you and very nice for anyone you're chatting with!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It's easier to carry multiple light layers that can all be put on at once, if necessary. I would add a thermal base layer (merino, if you can afford it or find a bargain) and a wool jersay or thin wool jumper to the list. And similar layers for the bottom.

What I would take:
two short sleeved tops
arm warmers
thermal base layer top
fleece
wool jersey
waterproof top/jacket
three pairs of shorts
1 pair thermal tights
leg warmers
1 pair golf / athletic trousers
1 pair waterproof trousers
at least 3 pairs wool socks
1 buff

In general, I operate by the principle that I should always carry one more layer than I think I need. I might get stuck someplace on a cold, wet day with a mechanical, or I just might want something warm and dry after a cold, wet day.

If you select carefully, it should be possible to take double purpose items. A thin wool jumper and a pair of shower proof golf trousers can be nice enough to go out for a meal in the evening, and warm enough to serve as a spare layer in extreme conditions.

Lots of people only take two pairs of shorts touring, but I prefer to take 3. It's best to have clean ones every day & they don't always dry overnight.

A buff is a useful piece of kit because it can be used to keep warm anything form the neck, up.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

arm and leg warmers from you local 99p shop. I find them useful in winter time & cheap/disposable
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

+1 for merino wool layers and buffs. I use Icebreaker layers which aren't cheap, but they've lasted me for years in hot and cold climates. Gilets are also very versatile. Consider layers that can all be worn at once if it's really cold. In case it's helpful, this was my clothes list for a two week camping trip in late April with cold evenings. Regular handwashing and, yes, I was Billy no-mates :) :

2x vests – 1x merino.
2x merino briefs. 1x padded shorts.
1x sports bra, 1x regular bra.
1x pair of merino hiking socks. 2x pairs of quick drying thinner socks.
2x longsleeve merino tops – 1x thin, 1x slightly thicker.
2x quick drying shirts – 1x used as a towel.
1x quick drying walking trousers.
1x lycra running leggings.
1x lightweight cycling jacket, converts into a light gilet.
1x insulated gilet, can be worn over jacket.
1x pair arm warmers. 1x pair knee warmers.
3x buffs – 1x for my head, 1x as a flannel, 1x for any manner of things.
1x pair cycling mitts. 1x pair wooly gloves.
1x pair Lidl cycling shoes.
1x mac in a sack (not very) waterproof – won't be packed again.

I should have packed:
A wooly hat.
Another pair of light shoes – my feet were permanently wet :( .

I've since bought:
A Paramo Velez Adventure Light smock – warm, waterproof and worth the money 8) .
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I've always taken the wear one and wash one approach. Ie 2 cycle kits. I'd make it one pair of shorts and one of longs and a couple of technical tops but YMMV. Then a thin layer fleece and a thicker jacket fleece, and a waterproof jacket, cycle shoes, socks and gloves has done me on the bike. In luxury years I might take a pair of shorts, sandals and a t shirt for evening wear.

A wooly hat and warm socks doesn't go amiss for chilly campsite mornings or evenings. I've cycled up on the Massif Central in September and through snow in June in the Picos de Europa with this combo and it was fine after warming up from the snow storm in the local bar with a glass of tinto.

Clearly your fleece and cycle shoes can double as a pillow too!

Until I went cycling to the Netherlands where it rained non stop. I got a pair of waterproof trews there and some of those waterproof covers for your cycle shoes. I'm not sure if I'll bother taking these to Brittany in the summer though as mostly a bit of wet isn't too cold, it's persistent cold rain that would make me reach for the full on waterproofs.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

You def need some new kit. Absolute minimum of 2 shorts and 2 tops. Wash each night and wrap in towel (after you have showered) to remove excess water, to aid drying (think what you will do with damp kit next day if it has not dried overnight)*
A lightweight long sleeved top that can be worn on cool days or double as a top for evening wear.
Spare trousers for evening
Arm and Leg Warmers
Wind/Waterproof Jacket
obviously Socks / Undies
Spare pr lightweight shoes for evening.

* I have attached still wet clothes on saddle bag / pannier the next day if not entirely dry to dry in the breeze but this may not be possible if it is a wet day.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

What I take touring (My touring is fully self sufficient cycle camping)-

Rapha long sleeved merino baselayer
Haglofs fleece
Buffalo windshirt and/or a Gore windproof gilet
Berghaus GoreTex jacket.

Rapha touring shorts or Tracksters
Rohan silk undercrackers

Woolie Boolies

And a set of dry/clean clothes.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Hi Skicat,

late September 2014 - Scotland....... King Alex will demand a passport, layers are the least of your worries!!!!

Nah, even the midges are still alive then, you'll be good in a couple of T-shirts,

Have a good trip,

Simon
skicat

Post by skicat »

Thanks everyone for the useful replies. I'll have to filter the various lists down to what I think will be useful (for example, I don't think I'll be needing the sports bra, but thanks anyway Slow Loris :lol: ). I didn't mention, but I'm doing a B&B tour so I'll be able to shower every evening and probably wash clothing in the sink when necessary. Also, because I'm not camping I'm not planning to take full-size panniers.

My final list might be influenced by the long range weather forecast a few days before departure.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Too many cake stops and you might reconsider [emoji6]. Feel free to filter whatever's relevant, and have a great trip. You can afford to travel lighter on a B&B tour [emoji3].
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used