Gothenburg - Malmo - Copenhagen - Berlin

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
GlasgowAl

Gothenburg - Malmo - Copenhagen - Berlin

Post by GlasgowAl »

Hi folks,

We've booked our trip to fly to Gothenburg and return from Berlin, we've got plenty of time to spend some nights in Gothenburg on arrival (2), Copenhagen, possibly Hamburg (opinions welcome) and Berlin at the end. Plan to use LBS cardboard boxes for the bikes, trust BA on weight allowance and getting them there and home, and camping as/when we want to. Hotels booked for Gothenburg and Berlin.

Looking for some advice and tips on:

(1) Route considerations or advice;
(2) Campsites in Germany (I understand no wild camping permitted?);
(3) Cheap accommodation in Copenhagen if not camping;
(4) Ferry choice from Denmark if not going to Rostock - worth going via Lubeck to Hamburg?; and
(5) Getting a cardboard box from a LBS in Berlin (have used the CTC bag before but thought we would be limited due to kit etc).

Any advice or shared experiences would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
pal

Re: Gothenburg - Malmo - Copenhagen - Berlin

Post by pal »

I can only really comment on your Question (1), I'm afraid (and then not very fully): from Gothenburg to Malmo, you can follow the (west coast) 'Cykelspåret' (and/or, for some stretches, the 'Ginstleden'): both are good routes, which follow quiet roads (and sometimes cycle-only paths) -- not many hills, but enough to keep things interesting. There are some very nice beaches down this stretch of coast: good for cooling off if the sun's shining! Signage is a bit hit-and-miss, so it's worth having a good map (or GPS): the Swedish version of the CTC sells cycle maps of this region (http://www2.cykelframjandet.org/shop/) (and the local tourist boards also have stuff they can send). If you want to avoid having to take a train to get over the Oresund strait (no bikes allowed on The Bridge...), you could cross over to Denmark at Helsingborg (by ferry), rather than pushing on to Malmo (there's a signed cycle route down from Helsingor to Copenhagen: National Route 9).

From Copenhagen to Berlin, I've only gone the direct route (via Rostock), but I enjoyed it: more good beaches and coastal riding in the Danish part; the German section passes through some nice old Hanseatic towns, and through pleasant forests/lakes. The last bit into Berlin traces some of the line of the old East/West Germany border, too, which is interesting. Again, there's nothing really challenging (in terms of climbs, etc), but it's a good ride nonetheless. The signposting of this route is generally very good, though I was pleased to have the Bikeline guidebook to help trace the route into Central Berlin, which gets a bit fiddly at times.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Plenty of campsites in northern Germany - i use ACSI eurocamping website to find them although they don't exactly hide along the coast! There is a good site in Lubeck which town is worth a look. Not sure what the fixation with wildcamping on here is all about, many sites offer very low prices for cycle campers. Same in Denmark really but you will need a compulsory camping carnet in Scandinavia - you can buy in advance or at the first campsite you use - its about a fiver (well it was last time i went in 2011).

whether you travel Gedser - Rostock or not will be as much to do with your plans for Denmark - if its a quickish look go Rostock, if you have more time go west and take a look at Hamburg - which has plenty to see and do.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
GlasgowAl

Post by GlasgowAl »

Thanks pal, that's helpful and appreciated.

and

Thanks foxyrider,

I'm not fixated by wildcamping - I just thought some advice could be helfpul in advance in case we were stuck between places or in the event that something happened.

Thanks for the advice too, very helpful.

cheers,

Alan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The picture of my bike alongside here was taken in Denmark during a cafe stop in Sakskobing on Lolland - nice bright day with the thermo reading over 35c!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
GlasgowAl

Post by GlasgowAl »

Excellent.

I've never cycled in Sweden, Denmark or Germany so really looking forward to the trip...we have plenty of time from end of August for about 2 and half weeks so should be good.
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

A few years back I rode the Berlin to Copenhagen bike route http://www.bike-berlin-copenhagen.com/ and it was great experience, you can get a very good guidebook to the route, which shows camp-sites.
http://www.esterbauer.com/db_detail.php?buecher_code=BKH

This route is very good I highly recommend it both the Danish section and the German section.

(having arrived in Copenhagen I crossed over to Sweden and cycles to Trelbourg on south coast and got boat to Rugen Island and cycledhttp://www.esterbauer.com/db_detail.php?buecher_code=BUSE
back to Berlin after going along the coat to Poland.)

On a different trip I got train to Copenhagen and then got Helsingborg Helsingör ferry accross to Sweden and cycled up to Gothenbourg I followed the coastal path, I camped wild on this stretch. see https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=7405&v=J5

There is a good campsite at a old fort on the coast on the outskirts of Copenhagen - see this page -https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=172204&v=2l

Whichever way you go you will have a great time. This corner of the old DDR has a low population density and has great lakes.
Last edited by tim_f on 26 Jul 2014, 11:18am, edited 1 time in total.
GlasgowAl

Post by GlasgowAl »

Thanks very much for the links Tim!

Great, will have a look through these this weekend.

cheers.