Transport of bikes post cycle to Rome

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
desmcg

Transport of bikes post cycle to Rome

Post by desmcg »

Forgive and clumbsyness as this is my first posting.

My wife and I are cycling to Rome in August but are struggling to sort out the return of our bikes.When on a similar trip to Santiago we were besiege d by companies offering to return our bikes home for us. On that instance we had the job sorted but this time is different.

Any advice on posentioal service providers will be most appreciated. With very little Italian and time in Rome I would prefer not to have to chase around getting bike boxes and such so that I can get the bikes back on the p!and.
Thanks much!

Desmcg
simonhill

Re: Transport of bikes post cycle to Rome

Post by simonhill »

If you can tell us how are you getting home and where you live, it will help. For example, if flying g then plenty of airlines take bikes.

Also, do you need the full service, or can you do a bit of DiY eg boxing your bike.
desmcg

Post by desmcg »

Thanks Simon

We are flying the bikes out with us to the start point in Geneva but were hoping to avoid the inevitable grief of locating suitable boxes and a means of getting them to the airport when filled with the bikes.

When we arrived in Santiago on another mission last year there were a number of companies who would box and deliver the bikes back to Scotand. I was hopong someone had had a sililar experience in Rome.

Desmcg
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I did once meet a Dutch cyclist who said there was a firm that shipped bikes back from Rome to the Netherlands. But I suspect that's no good to you (and in any case I didn't take the details).

I suspect you are going to have to fly the bikes back with you. I've put together a google map with contact details for bike shops in Italy if you want to try emailing to get boxes.I haven't got around to publishing it but if you contact me via my site I'll email the link.

BTW there are bike-friendly train services from Tiburtina to Fiumicino airport. Trust me, it's a lot less hassle than trying to ride there.
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.