Rhine cycle path

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Rhine cycle path

Post by nirakaro »

I’m thinking about a ride up the Rhine, and looking at the map, it seems that:
On the lower part, up as far perhaps as Bonn, the route mostly follows minor roads at a certain distance from the river;
Above there it’s mostly on dedicated cycle tracks adjacent to the river.
Is that correct?
Any views on the relative merits/demerits of the two styles?
I assume that where it’s on cycle tracks, navigation will be a doddle. Are the other parts well signposted?
foxyrider

Re: Rhine cycle path

Post by foxyrider »

I would say from my experience, that the largest part of the Rhein Radweg is on dedicated riverbank trails - often on both banks. Some areas - east of Basel for example do rely more heavily on roads although i've never found this to be any great issue, there usually being a dedicated bike lane for you to use.

Some sections - Bonn to Koblenz for example can be pretty busy with walkers and cyclists particularly at weekends. :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Yes there are some long stretches on dedicated paths. Surfaces are good. usually tarmac or compact gravel and they are well signposted. They can be a bit dull so you might want to pass through a few villages.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

geocycle wrote:Yes there are some long stretches on dedicated paths. Surfaces are good. usually tarmac or compact gravel and they are well signposted. They can be a bit dull so you might want to pass through a few villages.

+1 for being a bit dull in places having cycled from Basel towards the North Sea for a few days. At one point we got so bored we crossed into France and up the Alsace canal and through villages to break the monotony. We finished our trip a few days later but I understand that things get better scenery-wise a bit further north.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've done, on various tours, all of it from Mannheim to Koln. It's not bad and some is interesting. The Mosel, which is shorter, is better. The Lahn which is fairly short is also very good with nice towns, like Limburg, Nassau, Wetzlar, Marburg..

A terrific tour would be first the Mosel to Koblenz, then the Lahn, then train back to Koblenz, Koblenz to Bingen, then Nahe etc.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I have done various bits of it, as part another tour or other... usually tagged on to trips to the Black Forest. In some places it was dedicated river side paths and in others small quiet roads through villages ..... occasionally I was disappointed, that due to banking, you could not actually see the river and the river craft on it....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Ah yes ... I've noticed that on the Rhone too. And the Po. I suppose it's the nature of big, flood-prone rivers in flattish countryside.
severs1966

Post by severs1966 »

nirakaro wrote:I assume that where it’s on cycle tracks, navigation will be a doddle. Are the other parts well signposted?

It's all pretty well signposted, but rest assured of one thing; navigation is a doddle the whole way.