On the road one year.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cyclingnomad

On the road one year.

Post by cyclingnomad »

Last month we celebrated one year on the road in Tashkent Uzbekistan. We have travelled through 19 countries clocking up 11,000km, we weren't sure what it would be like being tour for so long but it is GREAT! Anyone else out there planning to sell everything and go touring? www.cycling-nomads.com
MrsHJ

Re: On the road one year.

Post by MrsHJ »

I've been really enjoying your posts and catching up on some of your blog/journal. It is SO impressive. I think I would like to cycle a fair chunk of the world one day but the Central Asia thing doesn't really appeal ( although Georgia and the other European bits I'm totally sold on as they play to my preference for beauty plus a bit more ease of travelling.)

My personal retirement plan has always been to cycle Alaska to terra del fuego. I have no idea how doable it it but it really appeals. Before then I have plenty of plans with the Baltic cycle route always in the back of my mind for a long summer break from work (if I get made redundant ever please let it be in April!) and kids and stuff. Plus New Zealand, and many of the other popular destinations. For some reason in my imagination I'm often cycling in India but I don't know why as it isn't at the top of my destination list at all!

I do have a question for myself though ( and this is the question you have already tested yourselves on so bravo). I know that I am physically capable of cycling long distances. I sometimes question my mental capacity. It's not the long days in the saddle but the absence of home comforts that might do it for me. I guess you can only test yourself and see how it goes but like many cycle tourers I have had my fair share of days where I find myself muttering "this is supposed to be fun"!). I notice that whilst I really enjoy travelling by myself and really like camping too much of both of these together can be a bad combination for me. The reason I think it is just a case of management rather than a huge deal is because My husband wants to sail the world and I suspect that I would really crack on a transatlantic crossing, in a totally different way compared to the odd lack of enthusiasm when cycling, due to the constraints of living on a small boat. At least with my bike I have the freedom to go anywhere and I find that fabulous.
cyclingnomad

Re: On the road one year.

Post by cyclingnomad »

I sometimes question my mental capacity. It's not the long days in the saddle but the absence of home comforts that might do it for me. I guess you can only test yourself and see how it goes but like many cycle tourers I have had my fair share of days where I find myself muttering "this is supposed to be fun"!). I notice that whilst I really enjoy travelling by myself and really like camping too much of both of these together can be a bad combination for me.

Thanks for your kind words. I agree that too much of a good thing can be bad. We have found ourselves going through some beautiful areas and not really enjoying things because we have been trying to do too much. You can't see everything on your way through a country and if conditions are bad we try and take a break.
We have learned to take things at face value as well, you hear negative things about some countries which are mostly unfounded. One of the beauties of cycling is that you are never seen as a threat, we have found people to be very open and kind to us. Particularly in central Asia where conditions are generally harsher it is the friendliness of the local people that can keep you going. So start planning that long trip.