Stir in soups

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
iandriver

Stir in soups

Post by iandriver »

I see Heinz are now doing a stir in soup that seems to be in ultralight packaging: http://www.heinz.co.uk/en/Products/Soup ... -of-Tomato.

Anyone tried them in a pannier yet? I can gamble on the price to taste one, it's more the robustness of the packaging when on the bike I'm interested in.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
rualexander

Re: Stir in soups

Post by rualexander »

These have been around for two or three years now. They are ok but don't disolve particularly well and you usually get left with sludge at the bottom of the cup.
I would think they would survive in a pannier reasonably well, maybe double wrap them in a ziplock bag to be sure.
Personally I would stick with Cup-a-soup, although the genuine Heinz Tomato flavour of these tubes is good.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

if you are thorough with the stirring they are great - better than cup a soup although less choice of flavours.

I put them inside my kettle for transport along with the stove - no issues with damage or mess. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Might have to find an old cigar tube to put them in :-). Guess I'm a little paranoid after the squeezy carnation incident after it escaped its shackles. A small box (ideally locking :-)) for the squashables isn't too much to carry I suppose. Good to know they will withstand some shaking about.

Could always bungee it to the outside of the mudguard along with the bananas :-)

I tend to eat out late lunch and Breakfast number 2 and are happy to keep it simple in the evenings and breakfast 1. I like the sound of the gooey bit in the bottom. Concentrated treat to finish.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I like Ainsleys packet soups, some excellent flavours and all less than 100 calories

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

If I'm touring on my bike I want all the calories I can get! :D
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I tried both the Heinz tomato and vegetable flavours of these soups and I gotta honest, they were 'orrible.
For one, the cooking instructions are wrong, the first one turned out like particularly nasty flavoured water and the second attempt had me adding water a little at a time to get it 'just right'. Sludge was at the bottom of the mug.
I also worried that they might burst and cover the cooking gear and pannier in that treacle like stuff in the packet.
The answer came via my girlfriend who introduced me to these http://m.groceries.asda.com/#item/910001159171.
They're smaller in size to the Heinz attempts and come in powder form. Lighter too, 35g vs 72g for the heinz. Cooking instructions are dead accurate and if followed, leave you with a delicious creamy soup, just as if you got it from a tin......nicer even.
I've only tried the chicken so far and it was gorgeous. Trying the tomato tomorrow.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.