Mio/Magellan Cyclo 505 mapping...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RonK

Mio/Magellan Cyclo 505 mapping...

Post by RonK »

Has anyone got a Cyclo 505 with UK/Euro mapping? Would you be interested in an exchange of map files?

I plan to zip up the the map file directory on my Australia/New Zealand unit and upload it to Google drive.

I'm guessing that to change maps, all I need to do is back up my Cyclo and replace the map files directory. Be warned though, I'm not yet certain about this, until I get a set of map files to try.

The Cyclo has gone on sale in the US now so I'll be trying to get a copy of North American maps too.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
paulnrswain

Re: Mio/Magellan Cyclo 505 mapping...

Post by paulnrswain »

Hi Ron,

Yes I would be up for that I have all the European maps for a Mio 505

Paul
dwilso32

Post by dwilso32 »

I'm planning to cycle in the UK this 2017 summer and am interested in obtaining UK and European maps for my Australian Cyclo 505. I find the "Surprise Me" feature of the Cyclo useful and don't really want to buy a European/UK Cyclo 505, but am happy to pay for the maps and am hoping someone in the Forum can assist me by:

Advising where I can obtain the maps and, if possible,
How I load them to my Australian Cyclo 505 (I'm not particularly technically minded).

I hope this is not too big an ask and do appreciate any assistance. I would be pleased to assist / provide maps to anyone planning to cycle Australia.

Thanks everyone.
pip074

Post by pip074 »

Hi

I would be really grateful if you could let me know if you managed to switch maps on your Mio 505, as I have a number of trips to Sydney/Melbourne this year and it would be great to use my Mio 505 OOTB.

I've trawled the Net for for whether this is possible and not got very far. EU/UK Mio 505 GPS connects ok when I'm in Aus, and posts to Strava etc., but would be great to use the Nav features rather than rely on local knowledge/Phone Nav.

I have a Mio 505 with UK and European maps. Would exchange for Aus maps or share of 'MIO_SYSTEM/DODGE/Map' or whatever is needed.

Would welcome any advice as I am currently resigned to dumping the device and re-investing in a Garmin just for the external maps thing.

Many thanks.

Phil
mega-cyclo

Post by mega-cyclo »

Hey,

I have the whole map of America on my Clyclo505 and would trade it for the Europe Map and/or Asia.

Thank you
petrov55

Post by petrov55 »

Hi,

I'm also looking for solution to install EU map on Cyclo 505 from Australia.
May be reinstall the whole system???

Could anybody help me?
Any idea?
Any success in new map installation?

Regards,
Ferdinand
ecanoca

Post by ecanoca »

Hi all,
I can share with you Uk and Ireland maps take from an 505, and also an Italy map from an 310.
Someone have successfully transplanted maps from one Mio to another?
If someone have a new maps (for me) I can try to transplant it in my 505 or 310 model.

tnx
Carlitos

<< EDIT : Graham : Please be aware that the previous message is one year old already. >>
ecanoca

Re: UPDATE: Mio/Magellan Cyclo 505 mapping...

Post by ecanoca »

I tried to transplant maps from an 315 EU maps to an 505 UK maps, but I'm sorry, don't works.
I've perhaps identified some functionality of Mio Cyclo technology... The OS is fully embedded and what you see through the USB connection is only an inactive repository, the original embedded maps are fully managed from not reachable OS ( I think Windows CE).
Infact when I tried to brutally format the two virtual disk "mio system" and "mio data" nothing is happened!! Automatically Mio have request the PC connection and again automatically have call MioAgent to recover the original structure.
I suppose that the only way to solve this problem is hack the OS trough a script that overcome the protection for hide the fully structure of flash memory.
Anyone have some ideas???
marioomar

Post by marioomar »

It is incredible but the people of Mio do not care anything, I am stranded in Argentina because my cyclo 505 does not have that map and when I do not have it, it does not let me follow a track, I asked them and they told me to return it, which worked like that. That I can not follow a track if I do not have a map, nobody knows any solution.
The people of Magellan are looking for a solution, we will see what happens.
Mario
lyle.cane

Post by lyle.cane »

Hello

I have brought a Magellan cyclo505 and didnt realise it just had aus and nz maps...
Anyone know how to get a Scotland and England maps

Kind Regards

Lyle
upstream

Post by upstream »

Hi all,

I'm in the same boat it seems. I bought a Magellan 505 and have found that it only has maps for Australia and New Zealand. I live in the UK and it doesn't appear that you can even buy UK maps as when I looked at the website the only european map that came up was France.

If anyone happens to have a UK map and knows a way that I can get hold of it, I'd happily pay.

Thanks.
kuckudukas

Post by kuckudukas »

Hi, can anyone share eastern europe maps? i want to take a crack at it, i need all the files from Mio_system. plz massage me, i can share Wester Europe from 505 if anybodys looking for it. Please respond :) if i will find the cure you will know it first... help.
Ursa Maior

Post by Ursa Maior »

Hi All!
I have the same problem with my mio 505... I bought the computer from england, and it has only western europe maps, but I live in Hungary...
So, if somebody would like to buy it, I send it happily for some cash :/ because it seems, that's hacking is very hard.

If you want this item, write me!
biropeti[at]gmail[dot]com
joebongo

Post by joebongo »

Apologies for a major thread resurrection.

I've found the maps on my windows machine.

Could these newer ones be placed into the backup folder and then used as the restore to the device to update them?
joebongo

Post by joebongo »

Ok I believe I've managed to squeeze in new maps into an old device.

What I did is take the maps from my new Explore Plus device temp file on Windows and basically replace the old maps on the 505 with them.

Note: there are 3 TA files and 1 OSM file on my 505, whereas there are 2 TA files and 2 OSM on the Explore Plus.

Next step was to rename the files as per the old files (including the numeric file extensions).

Note: the OSM area map on the new maps was renamed and placed as the TA area map into the TA folder.

I hope this makes sense.

Alternatively I've just farted around for an hour, convincing myself I've done something I haven't and the maps are actually buried in the rest of the WinCE areas we can't see!