Dealing with mosquitos

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
randomblue

Re: Dealing with mosquitos

Post by randomblue »

Its pretty much better now, got bitten 2 nights ago when staying at a hostel as it was too hot to leave windows closed (32celcius at midnight!!!) was a little itchy the next day and then overnight puffed up, went to doctors yesterday morning and they just gave me stronger antihistamines which I took one of rather than 2 and it was basically gone by the end of the day. I've had almost exactly the same bite and reaction in Mexico in Feb and that one went down exactly the same so I'm not convinced the antihistamines actually made any difference xD
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Furkuk wrote:This is going to sound strange but try taking antihistamines. It won't stop them biting you but it will stop you coming out in big red bite marks

+1
Funny you mention this as for the first time this year I took them (for a runny nose BTW) and the mozzy bites are fewer and much much less severe.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Furkuk

Post by Furkuk »

Very good. Don't think it works for everyone but it certainly works for me.
spearmint wino

Post by spearmint wino »

A great way to treat bites is by using heat - it breaks down the proteins biting insects inject, soothing and removing the irritation.
Heat a spoon (knife, fork, whatever) up in a mug of very hot water, dab it on the bite until its just bearable to press and hold it on, repeat.
Ms Wino was bitten in Turkey this year and her forearm ballooned up. The antihistamines we had weren't up to it but this method sorted it out.
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Sounds like a promising suggestion! Will try it this afternoon! I have often used ice to try and cool them as the bite often feels very hot to the touch but never thought to try heat before!