Dealing with mosquitos

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
b1ke

Re: Dealing with mosquitos

Post by b1ke »

If anybody reading this thread is thinking of heading to Africa and concerned about mosquitos, I'd say don't bother with Doxycycline anti-malarials. I took them regularly while cycling to The Gambia and still got malaria. Regarding Marmite (mentioned elsewhere in this thread), I had a phenomenal appetite for the stuff while I was sick. Not sure if the B vitamins help fight malaria or if the malaria depletes the body of them, but there's definitely a connection. Indeed part of the local treatment I got involved B vitamin supplements.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

On the aerosol DEET spray from S.C. Johnston the instructions said "Do not reapply". Anybody know why?
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

+1 for Jungle Formula.

When in Asia we used mosquito coils when sitting around indoors and outside.-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/19096619 ... 108&ff19=0

Geckos are your friend as well(They eat mossies)

I`ve just got over my annual unpleasant insect bite episode which resulted in me having to take a heavy dose of antibiotics for a week.
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

40% was the strongest I could find in Budapest but I'll have another look in Vienna over the next few days! Saying that I'm kind of ill at the moment and I was wondering if the sore throat part might have been triggered by the spray... Might see if I can find an alternative application like cream?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I haven't seen a cream, but I don't recommend breathing it. Hold your breath when spraying it. And don't spray it in your face. Spray it on your hands, then rub it on to your face.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Yeah I'm obviously not trying to but when I breathe after spraying it even if I wait as long as possible it still catches in my throat. Maybe its totally unrelated though we'll see!
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

Neilo wrote:DEET does melt plastic. I had some spill in a kit bag, same type of material as an Ortlieb pannier, it dissolved the plastic coating of the fabric, and It would not dry. I had to bin the bag.

Neil

It's a good call about the Ortlieb's...that could be an expensive mistake.

I'd be really careful with it around any plastics. I had some in my first aid kit - for hiking, not cycling before I get called up! - it reduced the plastic emergency whistle to a blob of snot, and the actual top on the bottle itself dissolved and it started on the kit bag - that could have ended in tears. Potentially - panniers, tent, waterproofs, technical fabrics...ugh.

I think it's a plasticiser basically, so will absorb into the structure plastic itself and turn it into gum. It won't evaporate out.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

DEET works well. 50%. And especially good for destroying sunglasses.
Ive heard about this method for repelling mosquitoes and about to give it a go. Not sure if it will work against midges though.

Mix two teaspoons of pure Vanilla Extract and one cup of water in a trigger-spray bottle and spray yourself with the solution.

It will definitely smell and taste better than DEET.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Bitten by something on Sunday. I had a little pain on my elbow on Sunday night, didn't even realise I'd been bitten, thought nothing of it.
Woke up yesterday morning, very swolen arm around the joint, really red and hot to touch. Now on anti biotics :( for a week, and told to rest it, so not to spread the infection. I'm going on a 4 day tour on my bike next Monday, hopefully all will be well again by then. Reminded me to put my head net and spray in my panniers :) and to pray for a little bit of wind.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've heard that taking Garlic Capsules for a couple of weeks before a trip helps - anyone tried it?

Also, heard that these help

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zap-It-Insect-R ... ite+zapper

I haven't tried it but for a couple of pound worth a go, and the reviews are good.

I bought a device in a french supermarket about the size of a large pen which sucks the sting/infection out of bite. It creates a small vacuum on the skin and sucks anything out of a hole in the skin. Only cost a few pounds and I haven't seen them since but I have used it a few times when a bite becomes infected - very good if you can find them

Anyone know what the strongest deet available in the uk is?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mnichols wrote:I've heard that taking Garlic Capsules for a couple of weeks before a trip helps - anyone tried it?

I think that lots of garlic (in food or capsules) can make some difference, but it is not a effective repellent, and IMO, should not be relied upon to keep the mozzies away. Though it may keep other people away if you don't want company :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Spoke

Post by Spoke »

Ride faster then they can fly! :)
Or find the riding buddy which mosquitos like more than you. :p
patpalloon

Post by patpalloon »

Smidge is great. primarily meant to repel midges, works well for me against all flying beasties including my nemesis the horsefly! and it's quite pleasant stuff to apply unlike deet.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

So... Today the mosquitos landed me a trip to the emergency room :( Of all the places to get a bite, eyelid is definitely the worst x.x
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

randomblue wrote:So... Today the mosquitos landed me a trip to the emergency room :( Of all the places to get a bite, eyelid is definitely the worst x.x

:( I wish you a quick recovery. Did they have any advice about preventing & treating bites?