Advice on 2 man tent please...

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Rabbit

Advice on 2 man tent please...

Post by Rabbit »

I am going to try and do some cycle-camping this summer - in the UK and France - and I was wondering what would be the best 2 man tent to go for? I was looking for something fairly good quality but not break the bank stuff. So I was thinking about a North Face tadpole - but would be interested in any other suggestions. The trips will probably be 2 or 3 day outings - maybe longer - and I may be cycling on my own or possibly with my wife - hence the need for the 2 berths. I don't have a rear rack so it would need to go in or on something like a Carradice camper longflap. Thanks -
chesterpete

Re: Advice on 2 man tent please...

Post by chesterpete »

Hi. Ive used a Vango Banshee 2 person tent for several tours and always found it excellent. It weighs in at 2.2 kg and can be bought for around £100. :)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

bit pricier but i like the Vaude stuff, my Power Lizard is @ 1kg and packs tiny but is still spacious for one and comfortable for 2! Its predecessor, a Taurus UL has more headroom and weighs about twice as miuch but still comes into the bike camping arena packed size. 8)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

If bringing the missus, you might be better with a 3 man tent as the two man tents (usually) are optimistic in their sizing, unless you are both small.
I've camped with my 7 year old daughter in my two man Coleman Avior X2 and "roomy" it wasn't.
It's a darn good tent in my opinion but I do wish I'd gone for the X3 instead. The Coleman Cobra X3 sells for under £100 and from what I hear, is just as good as the Avior.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Cobra-T ... leman+tent
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

I'd recommend the vango banshee 300 for you and your wife, if it's just you, go for the 200 ( 2 man but only big enough for 1).
Inexpensive and good quality
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

Vango Banshee 200
ImageImageImage
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

I've used the Vango Banshee 2 person tent on tour as well & it is ace, that said I think it optimistic that you'd get two people into it, unless they are small people (I'm not)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

If you've not got a lot of packing space then you'll need to look at the lighter (and consequently less bulky) end of the market, and if you also want a reasonable amount of space IMHO you'd be well served throwing a bit more money at it. Something like the MSR Hubba Hubba (or the HP version for a bit more money in exchange for a bit less to carry, but just as big and at least as strong) is a good 2 person tent that really will take 2 without too much of a fight, and isn't pointlessly oversized for a solo camper.
The Tarptent Scarp 2 is another great candidate but there's a clear disadvantage that you have to order from the US and can't easily play before parting with your money.

Those aren't cheap, but they're far less bank-breaking than e.g. the Hilleberg Anjan or Rogen.

Pete.
Last edited by pjclinch on 24 Jun 2014, 9:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
colinb497

Post by colinb497 »

Before we bought our palatial HIlleberg Anjan 3GT, my girlfriend and I used to use a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. Really light at 1.2kg, but still robust (it's been mountaineering with me at 2000m+, wandering across Welsh and English mountains, and survived several festivals too). More than enough space for me to settle down in it (6'1" and on the wider side of things). The only reason we upgraded is we got new mats that didn't fit comfortably, and SWMBO wanted more space. REalistically the SL2 has enough space for 2, you've just got to be good with stuffing clothing around the side of the mats, and keeping things in panniers that don't need to be out right this instance. Fine to cook in the porch with door closed if you're using gas or meths, but I've never been brave enough to try it with a petrol stove...
hamster

Post by hamster »

Terra Nova Voyager has been brilliant for me. A lot depends on what you use the tent for - simply a place to sleep or also to mooch around in.

Personally I'd go for something you can sit up in with a porch big enough for all your gear. I never have felt the need to put my bike inside though.
NoodleJam

Post by NoodleJam »

A few years back I purchased the MSR Hubba Hubba in USA. You can buy from Campmor.com for around £120. They might be able to ship to UK.
It's a brilliantly robust lightweight tent and perfect for cycle touring.
Cosmos Mariner: Destination unknown
www.cosmosmariner.co.uk
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Rabbit wrote: So I was thinking about a North Face tadpole - but would be interested in any other suggestions...

Unless you guys are teeny weeny and patient I wouldn't consider the otherwise excellent Tadpole. I used one for a couple of years and found it just about big enough for my own solo use (and at 5' 9" / nine and a half stone I'm pretty compact myself). In particular I thought the 'vestibule' was only just big enough and for two it would certainly be limiting...
Have a decco through the long-running 'Pictures of my tent' thread to see what's out there :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Thanks all that's really helpful - good advice and pics! It's very difficult getting an idea of just how much (or little) space there is in these things. Will check out more pics - much appreciated!