Interail pass

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DaveGos

Interail pass

Post by DaveGos »

Hi - Saw this add and thought of maybe getting a 10 day pass and a cheap folder to do say 30 mile rides in between train journeys , just around the city

http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/pass/inte ... lobal-pass

Anybody done this or any experience advice from recent years only
RickH

Re: Interail pass

Post by RickH »

You must have been a resident in a participating European country for 6 months to travel on an InterRail pass

That could (probably?) mean you have to have been resident in one of the countries listed (which doesn't include the UK).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Brings back wondrous memories of student euro bumming and doubtless for many others on here.

Personally having discovered the wonders of cycling later in life I would pedal all the way.

But happy memories none the less.
Sweep
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

I met a girl doing this. She was doing a eurovelo route but only riding the interesting bits. Seemed pretty smart to me as when in towns she had wheels to get about.

The limitation of Interrail is that because of the cost you tend to end up doing big journeys to make it worthwhile. Big journeys tends to become a tour of major cities so its quite different to a typical bike tour.
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

You can definitely interrail if you don't live in a country thats part of the network. I can assure you this as I'm currently a third through my cycle tour in Europe and I've met people from all over the world who are interrailing.

In terms of combining it with cycle touring I think it very much depends where you're doing said tour. Also bear in mind you'd need to buy a bike ticket each time you use the trains too and this varies wildly depending on which country you're in. For example, a bike ticket from Amsterdam to Hamburg is 10€ if you look online or £10 if you try to book through deutschbahn's british office. On the other end of the scale I got a train today in Slovakia where the bike ticket is just 1€... Once you get out of the UK, France and germany where trains seem to be ridiculously priced, even the passenger tickets become very reasonable (2hr train today through slovakia for 5-6€)

Also, I think if you have the benefit of the bike you can also cut costs by making sure you cycle any border crossings. If you're looking at travelling through France/Germany then maybe interrailing is a feasible option but for anywhere else I think it will be much cheaper to buy tickets as you go :)