To tent or not to tent that is the question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Scruffy

To tent or not to tent that is the question

Post by Scruffy »

Hi all

Looking for some advice on Europe touring. I'm flying to Zurich to start my tour along the Rhine in July. I am however debating taking a tent. I could use warmshowers and hostels but do prefer being under canvas. I'm just not sure as to the availability of camping sites. My understanding is that stealth camping is frowned upon in most of Europe and if I'm not likely to use the tent I don't see the point in taking the extra kilos.

Appreciate your thoughts
jamesgilbert

Re: To tent or not to tent that is the question

Post by jamesgilbert »

I wouldn't have thought there's anywhere in the world that has a higher concentration of campsites than Europe. I don't understand why you're not sure about the availability of campsites?
Dean

Post by Dean »

Aye, you can't move for the buggers along the Rhine.

And I've wild camped in Germany without ever having a problem. Unless the farmer giving you pumpkins and tourist information counts as a problem.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Most of the route guides and maps (Michelin/Bikeline etc) will show you the campsites, have a look at the ACSI Eurocamping and/or ADFC websites - town tourist sites usually tell you about all the local accomodation including campsites.

There are stretchers of the Rhein where they are more sparse - at Basel for example the campsite is 4km from the river but i wouldn't say that was too far off course! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Scruffy

Post by Scruffy »

Thanks all. Reading the cicerone guides got the impression it was a little sparse. On reflection this was possibly due to reading it before bed. Tents going then.
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

Taking a tent can give the quiet sleep that a hostel dormitory is unlikely to provide, but you will still have the option of hostel or hotel if the need arises. The additional weight is of no consequence except for steep hills or carrying by air!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

foxyrider wrote:There are stretchers of the Rhein where they are more sparse - at Basel for example the campsite is 4km from the river but i wouldn't say that was too far off course! :D
There is a campsite right by the river just a couple of hundred yards over the border into France at Huningue http://campinghuningue.free.fr/ Not the prettiest campsite in the world but perfectly adequate.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

tatanab wrote:
foxyrider wrote:There are stretchers of the Rhein where they are more sparse - at Basel for example the campsite is 4km from the river but i wouldn't say that was too far off course! :D
There is a campsite right by the river just a couple of hundred yards over the border into France at Huningue http://campinghuningue.free.fr/ Not the prettiest campsite in the world but perfectly adequate.

Tried finding that a few years back to no avail - ended up on a fine site in Lorrach, Germany - last year stayed at the Basel site a mile or so south of the city centre which is marked on the city plans (well it was last year!) :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Neil Wheadon

Post by Neil Wheadon »

The Cicerone guide isn't great for campsites. However having cycled the middle section last year they are pretty plentiful . one thing you need to watch is that a few have closed in the last few years and asking the locals may not help

Mainz - Campsite has a specific area for cyclists, akin to USA hiker biker site. It's on the other side of the river from the main city. Bear right and go over a pedestrian bridge, it's by the river

Laubenheim campsite in this area is shut

Rideshein. The campsite is pricey but very good and has a great swimming pool and washrooms. It's near the ruined bridge destroyed in WW2

Loreley, campsite by the river near the gorge. Very basic shop, long and thin site

Koblenz Get there early, the big sites will be booked quickly. They do have biker sites but you are crammed close together near the toilets at the back, get there early to get a good site. If goinf downstream you can cross the Mosel using the blue bridge about 500 metres upstream. You'll need to carry your bike up the steps but it's a good way to the campsite.

Bad Breisig has a delightful campsite. It's 700 metres from the river up a gorge going left (if going downstream) Has a biker site, best one we stayed in, worth searching it out

Remagen 700 metres before the bridge, big site with a swimming pool

Hope that helps
Neil
Former CTC Tour Leader, now with Bikexplore
lowgearsuphill

Post by lowgearsuphill »

I took a Gelert one man tent with me when I toured for a month in France in 2011, and did not regret it for an instant. My sleeping bag weighed more than the tent! The freedom the tent gave me is difficult to put a price on - more difficult for me was the fact is was extremely difficult to get a hot meal in the evening - the restaurants told me that they were not bothering to open on an evening as trade was non-existent due to the state of the economy. Didn't spoil the tour though, and camping was great, almost the best part, up there with the quiet roads and the friendly locals.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

hostel or camp? Camp any day. I personaly dont like sharing a dormitory with other people and their colds and bugs. Ok if you are using a car but if you are getting around on a bike you dont want to pick up some bug from some foreigner? Can spoil a holiday?