My Surly LHT - almost finished!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Weimarunner

My Surly LHT - almost finished!

Post by Weimarunner »

Thought I'd post these pics for the archive. Just new brake blocks, SPD pedals and maybe a double kick stand to go,
ImageImageImage
Dean

Re: My Surly LHT - almost finished!

Post by Dean »

You'll do yourself a mischief with those bar ends ;)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Do read what Surly say about kickstands.
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

Hi Colin, yes, I have thanks.It's the side stands they advise against, I'd go for the double legged version, if I decide to fit one.
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

How do you fix punctures?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Weimarunner wrote:Hi Colin, yes, I have thanks.It's the side stands they advise against, I'd go for the double legged version, if I decide to fit one.

What Surly advise against is crushing the chainstays by applying a clamping load that's too big for the tubing. Seen it done. I don't understand how the number of legs will protect the tubing, but its up to you.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Surly are a little bit disingenuous about crushing. They know that this is a great long-distance frame and they know that long-distance cyclists usually like a kickstand, but then they advise against fitting one, if not in as many words then in their "crushable" spiel. I'd rather they specifically adapt part of the frame at the cost of a little weight than shuffle off responsibility onto the buyer, who knows a lot less about crushability than they do. There are plenty of other frames out there with such adaptations - when I bought my old Raleigh in the mid-80s I clamped on a stand with a very heavy, uneducated hand and had no problems at all.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
hondated

Post by hondated »

Like the bike and especially the colour as its the same colour as my Roberts. I am also glad you posted as I am thinking of replacing my front forks and rather than go for getting another pair sprayed blue as I thought I would I can now just get a black pair knowing they will look OK.Enjoy your bike.
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

DaleFTW wrote:How do you fix punctures?

?? Same as anyone else would, drop the wheel out, fix it, put it back. I've never needed to turn a bike upside down to remove a wheel.
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

531colin wrote:
Weimarunner wrote:Hi Colin, yes, I have thanks.It's the side stands they advise against, I'd go for the double legged version, if I decide to fit one.

What Surly advise against is crushing the chainstays by applying a clamping load that's too big for the tubing. Seen it done. I don't understand how the number of legs will protect the tubing, but its up to you.

Hi Colin, I'm undecided about the kickstand. What surly say in their blog is that over clamping the kickstand when fitting can cause damage and the uneven pressure of a single legged stand isn't recommended. I suppose that a loaded bike rested on one side may apply uneven to that chain stay ?? Surly suggest a particular make of double leg stand that would be preferential over a single sided one.
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

hondated wrote:Like the bike and especially the colour as its the same colour as my Roberts. I am also glad you posted as I am thinking of replacing my front forks and rather than go for getting another pair sprayed blue as I thought I would I can now just get a black pair knowing they will look OK.Enjoy your bike.

Thanks, I will.
I think the black bars and tape let me get away with the black forks ok
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I guess you have whats called a thumbs up bike?
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

mercalia wrote:I guess you have whats called a thumbs up bike?

It's definitely that!
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I like bikes with forks not the same colour as the frame also. I have a green bike with black forks, an orange frame (incomplete) with black forks and a bare metal framed bike with orange forks (and spare black ones for it). Also a bare metal framed bike with black forks in the hideout. :D

Are your forks from a Cross-Check? They look skinnier than I'd expect an LHT to have.

Do you find it quite stretched out? Looks very long, but maybe you have a long torso and arms; judging by the appearance, it's a quite large size. Maybe cross-top/inline levers could be added at some point for more upright riding; after all, it appears your cables are lead back from the levers under the tape (looped around bar to get facing back?).

For me, I'd adjust the mudguard stays a tad to even out the spacing against the wheel, but then I'm a tart. :mrgreen:
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

mrjemm wrote:I like bikes with forks not the same colour as the frame also. I have a green bike with black forks, an orange frame (incomplete) with black forks and a bare metal framed bike with orange forks (and spare black ones for it). Also a bare metal framed bike with black forks in the hideout. :D

Are your forks from a Cross-Check? They look skinnier than I'd expect an LHT to have.

Do you find it quite stretched out? Looks very long, but maybe you have a long torso and arms; judging by the appearance, it's a quite large size. Maybe cross-top/inline levers could be added at some point for more upright riding; after all, it appears your cables are lead back from the levers under the tape (looped around bar to get facing back?).

For me, I'd adjust the mudguard stays a tad to even out the spacing against the wheel, but then I'm a tart. :mrgreen:

Hi,

The forks are LHT ones but I know what you mean, it was my first thought how skinny they were.
The bike is a 58cm, I thought I'd need a bigger frame being 6'1" but I do have a freakishly long torso and arms :roll: I find the bike really comfy, more than enough positioning with the TT bars.
You're quite right about the mudguard adjustments.....how embarassing!.....I'm on to it .....(shuffles off to the garage)